Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Share your first time you killed your first deer. >

Share your first time you killed your first deer.

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Share your first time you killed your first deer.

Old 12-29-2004, 04:33 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Share your first time you killed your first deer.

Fall of 1956. We were walking a draw on our land down below the barn. I was walking near the top and some other members of out party had taken up positions down through the bottom and up the other side. I heard shooting down in the bottom and soon a mule deer buck came running up the side draw that I was in. I had to dive to the ground to keep from getting run over as he didn't see me at all. I sat up and looked around. He was about 40 or fifty yards past me by then. He was going straight away and I got twisted around and got off a shot with my dads old Eddiestone 30-06. I lucked out and hit him right in the back of the head. Down he went the bullet came out the top of his head and broke the antlers in half. Wrecked my first trophy. Mk Dad fasrened them to a board with two screws and looked pretty good. That was a long time ago but I remember it like it was yesterday. Thats one of the only things I do remember. I had shot a few deer for food before that but that was the first deer season in our area and my first deer permit.
Old 12-29-2004, 04:50 PM

I was 12, and it was the second day of season. i was posting a knob when a buck came out.
posting a knob???

1988, 16 yrs old, 2nd day i had hunted, late in the afternoon, sitting on a tree stump on top of a ridge. along comes a doe about 35 yards away, she doesnt see me so i decide to see what if anything is following her, well along comes the biggest dam buck i have seen in the woods. he's a bit farther back than the doe and i am unbelievably excited, wanting to pull the trigger immediately, anyway something spooks them both and he runs by me at about 30 yrds, shot twice and hit him both times, after the second shot he drops, i cant describe the feeling of that day, i was yelling so loud that the friends i was out with come running. he scored 222 non typical. that spring at the buck show, some dude offers to buy it for $10k, thought for about 10 seconds and told him to take a hike, best decision i ever made.
Old 12-29-2004, 04:51 PM

my first was last year during pa's first jr. hunt. my dad and i had hunted all day and hadnt seen anything. we came out by a pond and started talking. we talked for 15min before my dad looked down in the field below the pond and there stood a doe. so i sat down and rested the trusty .270 on my knees and drove that bullet through its spine, needless to say, it dropped in its tracks. it was out there 200 yards
Old 12-30-2004, 11:21 PM
Typical Buck

I love these stories! Lets hear some more guys and gals....
Old 12-31-2004, 12:03 PM
Fork Horn

I was 14, sitting in a treestand. I saw a doe in the woods in front of me, and more just came out. One decided it would follow the trail that my stand was on. Of course, she didnt make it down there. Nailed her in the lungs with the trusty Remington 870 Slug.
Old 12-31-2004, 01:19 PM

mine was this november (muzzleloader season) I'm 13 and my dad and I were hunting on a "deer highway" on the river where they came from their bedding area to the wheatfield. It was near dark, near time to go and I was very tired and I had laid down on my jacket when my daid slowly creeps his hand toward me and quietly but with much excitement says THERE,in the bushes I saw a nice buck. I got up a little bit too excited, rustling in the branches above my head and crunching the leaves beneath me. The deer didnt hear it. I stick the bipod into the ground and raised my gun onto the bipod. It had started to lightly rain and we hadnt seen the buck for a few minutes we thought it had left then I see out of the corner of my eye a buck coming towards the river to get a drink. When I tell my dad I see him he has his binoculars up looking for the deer. As I take my gun off safety he's putting down his binoculars and picking up his wet,foggy glasses he puts them on and says I cant see him then he wipes off his glasses raises them to his eyes and again says I cant s BOOM! I shot him smoke covers the area it takes a second to clear out and I see him on the ground and I say HE'S DOWN when he gets back up runs across the river toward us then falls again and dies my dad just got finished loading the tc omega and we go down there to check and make sure hes dead and he was hit him right in the shoulder. A nice 8 point scored in the 130's. We field dress him in the raining dark drag him up the muddy slippery hill and through a path surrounded by maroon bushes when we finally reached the pickup, we load him into the bed of the ford gather up our stuff and go to show him off to everyone.
Old 12-31-2004, 06:01 PM
Typical Buck

Congrats on the buck! Did you get any pic's?
Old 12-31-2004, 07:23 PM

Was a long time ago.

I was at our usual spot which had sucked for a couple years. Too many guys and too few deer. Things just weren't going my way. I would walk in with someone and say "Which way do you want to go?".........I always chose the wrong way and never saw the deer.

It was opening day and I only went in about a couple hundred yards and sat on a blow down that was just off a logging road. I was so happy that no other hunters were walking past me constantly. Then just as it started to get light out my happiness was shattered by the sounds of hunters coming down the path.........so I thought

I looked back in disgust and saw 3 deer coming instead........WOW. I stood up and took aim. The largest doe hopped right into my sights and I fired. It happened so fast I don't really know what happened after that.......I was covered in smoke and half in shock from actually seeing a deer. I gathered myself and chambered another slug. As I took a few steps in that direction I didn't see anything because a large tree was in the way. I took a sidestep and there she lay. Must have dropped right in her tracks. I was so excited I could barely keep from screaming. I had a deer and it was only 7:10 am.

What a great day........my dad was so thrilled to see his youngest boy get his first deer. I will always remember that day and that deer.

Funny how hunting can seem so hard sometimes and so easy at others.
Old 12-31-2004, 07:33 PM

A few years ago..it was on a doe day in Sussex, NJ...it was pouring all morning and my father and i sat about 200 yards apart from each other...we sat until about 9:30 saw nothing and just got absolutely soaked...we heard a few shots off in the distance but nothing around....we went oput for breakfast and went to a laundramat to get all of our clothes dried....then we headed bak to the woods..on the way i saw what looked liek 2 does standing in a field about 30 yards from the road...my dad pulled to the side next to another car when two guys hoppped out....not knowing the deer were standing rite there they started talking and spooked them right into a thicket...turns out they had been sleeping in the car all mornin waiting for the rain to stop and as we pulled in they woke up and teh rain was starting to calm down a bit...so me and my father proceeded down the road about 400 yards...we stopped got our gear together and he went on one side of the road and i went on the other...in spit of all the rain there was still about a half inch of snow on the ground...i walked into the woods about 200 yards and heard a gunsghot from where we had just come from....i figured one of the guys had taken a deer that we had just seen so i continued into the woods...as i walked a littel further i saw a few sets of fresh deer tracks..i could tell they were very fresh becaus eof the mud that was just kicked up on tiop from the creek bed that they just ran through..i then noticed that one had a small blood trail next to it..i saw no human tracks so i decided to follow it...after about a hgundred yards i saw teh deer about 40 yards away i took a shot and hit it but it kept running hard and i couldnt get a second shot off...so i kept following..it crossed teh road so i decided to go get my father...i got him and we tracked the deer for over a mile and a half ...by that time it was gettin late in the afternoon about 3:00-3:30...he then toild me that he would hate to loose the deer but even if we do find it now its gonna be a long drag out ...i was to excited to loose my first deer liek thatr so i talked him into letting me walk about 150 yards further...well sure enough i jumped hte deer that was bedded down on the other side of a rock wall...dropped it on the first shot it hopped bak up and dropped it again (that buckshot sure put a beating on the meat)..needless to say it was a loooong drag out but i didnt mind...would do it any day of the week...as long as i live i think i will never forget that one..
Old 12-31-2004, 08:05 PM

i remember the day like it was yesterday...wait, it was just yesterday....42 yrs. old and just started deer hunting last year during muzzleloading season, trial and error last year, this year i started scouting and found some good hunting grounds, turns out the best hunting area was where i use to hunt rabbit and squirrel when i lived with a foster parent, he still allows me and only me to hunt there to this day......any way, i shot a doe at about 150 yards with a 45 cal. muzzleloaded that my sons bought me for christmas, followed the blood trail, found the deer lying down, still alive, deer jumped up and ran another 50 yds or so and layed down again, left the doe alone for about 2 hrs....came back and she was dead.....tried enclosing pic, but for some reason, will not let me add pic...will try to add pics later....sorry to bore you with this story, but i am stiil pumped up about my first deer...

Quick Reply: Share your first time you killed your first deer.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.