Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

*read please*bad rep.

Old 12-26-2004, 10:07 PM
Typical Buck

Default *read please*bad rep.

ok, i know that everyone may have a different opinion on this, but please, i would LOVE to hear your responce.
As it is now in america, well at least around where im at, (central illinois) the beer industries have really sold their product by placing such things as Welcome Hunters on signs with an alcohol emblum on it, the problem that this raises is to either young persons wanting to hunt, or undecided hunters turning away due to bad advertisement by the alcohol industry. There have been many signs put up around here during the illinois shotgun season, because obviosly, thats when the most people are gonna drink and the place will be filled with people. This makes it seem like all hunters drink, which is not the case. to me, deer hunting is not about buying a bunch of beer and drink the night away until the morning comes, then go out and hunt, to me hunting is abot being togather with the family and friends exchanging stories about the day, or planning out where you will be the next morning. Although I know that about 80% of hunters drink alcohol while at the camp, do they really need to make a sign just for hunters at the bars and corner alcohol stops? Do you think that this gives us true hunters a bad rep.? its understanable to have a few, but they really dont need to point out at hunters in general do they?
please tell me what you all think.
DS
Old 12-26-2004, 10:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: *read please*bad rep.

well i dont realy thing it should turn people away i mean they are just saying hey heres a place all the hunters should come grab a bite to eat drink some beer and swap sorries of their day thats all. im from central illinois to but i havent seen any signs like that all the ones i see are orange with a deer on it that says welcome hunters.
Old 12-26-2004, 10:33 PM

I agree with bwhunter. I've been to a few races(Nascar and Indy) and as soon as you hit town you start seeing signs like "Miller Lite welcomes race fans". I think whenever you have a big event going on you're naturally going to see advertisements for beer as well as other products. Personally, I dont drink while I'm hunting, maybe after but not before or during and I don't think it gives us a bad rep., its just advertising.

JMO,
Steve
Old 12-27-2004, 06:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

It is advertising, plain and simple. I could go through lists and lists of advertisements that show some a group of people or sport in a certain "light" (ie useing a product). As someone alluded to, the signs are meant to show "support" for hunters (ie - "welcome") and sell a product (that is how people make money). I think you are reading way too much into this. just because a sign says hunters and beer in it doesn't mean that people jump right to the conclusion that all hunters are drunk slobs. As for young hunters getting turned away - again way too much thinking. I can't imagine anyone taking an advertisement such as this that literally. do people go right out and drink a case of bud and them drive around the block at 100 mph just because it is on Jr.'s NASCAR??? if the signs showed hunters shooting and drinking at the same time that would be one thing, but they don't.

as fo me, hunting is a time to spend with family and friends that very well might include drinking a few beers. do I buy beer because a brand says "welcome hunters" - no, come on. we actually have a "welcome hunters" sign we hang at our camp (tobacco). I really hope people don't drive by and think we are disgusting slob hunters because we might chew tobacco???
Old 12-27-2004, 06:18 AM
Fork Horn

Well I hunt in NY and I also see those signs everywhere, but I, on the other hand, like them. I like to see companies that will actually back hunting and hunters. Most companies run the other way when it comes to issues like hunting because it might not be the "PC" thing to do. So I am in full favor of those signs.
Old 12-27-2004, 06:24 AM
Fork Horn

I wonder what this world is comeing tooo . Someone always has to argue about the stupidist thing they can find . [>:]
Old 12-27-2004, 06:26 AM
Dominant Buck

It is just advertising and they will do anything to hawk their products. A similar problem that bothers me is the amount of advertising that booze and cigarette makers put in the outdoor magazines. Every time I see the camel add with the sexy looking woman I wonder who the add is targeting. Probably young people. No wonder more of them smoke than ever before. I like to have a drink after the hunt and don't smoke but would still like to see at least 1 outdoor mag have the backbone to cut out these adds.
Old 12-27-2004, 06:28 AM

Don't lay all the blame on the little guy.
The big CO's. give those signs out for free & the little guy see's this as free advertising in a world that you can go under at any time.
I agree that the img. it sends is not good.
But lay back and go easy there are always people that will take things the wrong way but most know the Diff......
Old 12-27-2004, 12:45 PM

You need to look at this from a different perspective. I see it as a good rep. With the neverending battle we all face with negative public opinion towards hunting, I am glad to see businesses that are not afraid to show their support for hunters. Are they just after my money? Sure, but my feeling is support me and I will support you. That goes for major corporations down to mom & pop stores. From a choice of five motels I chose the one that said "Hunters Welcome".
Old 12-27-2004, 02:41 PM
Typical Buck

now see, i didnt say whether or not i strongly felt about one way, i was just wondering if you all thought this way or not, to me, its just another sign that is showing hunters that they support them. to me, its natural to see this around. I have no strong feeling about this, just was seeing what you guys thought. got some heavy feed back.

Quick Reply: *read please*bad rep.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.