Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Getting Started on Hunting

Old 12-22-2004, 01:53 PM

Default Getting Started on Hunting

Hi everybody,
My names' mike and im new to hunting, but I've been once with one of my good friends and I had a great time even though we didnt see anything. I'm 13 years old and I'm asking for a compound bow I tried out at a bow shop in Brampton, Ontario. It's got an adjustable draw weight from 30-40 pounds, and I was just wondering if anyone who's experienced at hunting has any good advice or good websites to go to. I've been to Bowhunting.com, and Deerhunting.com, and they're both very good sites, but I dont think I've learned everything I can from them. If I get my bow I'll start Turkey hunting in the Spring and then move on to Whitetail deer in the fall. If anyone had any advice that they would like to share it would be greatly apprecited. Thanks !!!
Old 12-22-2004, 03:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Getting Started on Hunting

When I started bow hunting I spent a lot of time at my local archery lanes. I found that many bowhunters like to help a newbie and never had a shortage of pointers, plus it was a good way to meet new friends, talk shop, trade stories, etc. I wouldn't try to do everything they suggested just worked on pieces and then gradually it all came together after lots of practice.
Old 12-22-2004, 03:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

Welcome to the boards Impossible! For learning to hunt, the best thing to do is find an experienced hunter to pal up with. There is nothing like being taught by a veteran hunter, in the woods. Next to that, just read everything that you can find about the game you are hunting. Other than hunting knowledge, the best virtue that you can learn is PATIENCE! It may take you some time to finally score (it took me almost five years to get my first deer,) but patience WILL be rewarded with success! Finally as to your weapon, wether gun or bow, practice, practice, and practice! Good luck!
Old 12-22-2004, 03:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

I could talk about so many things, but I'll try to keep it brief. First of all, get a partner who is knowledgable with a bow to give you tips on purchasing a bow before you go out and get one. If you don't have someone like that, get signed up for an archery class. This is better in the long run, you won't learn someones possible bad habits. Once you do get a bow, you can never practice enough prior to hunting season. Practice with whatever gear and clothing you will actually be using during the hunt. Challenge yourself to shoot in positions other than just standing because rarely in the woods will an animal let you have such an easy shot. Ensure you are comfortable and proficient with your gear before you even step into the woods.
Old 12-22-2004, 06:05 PM

I'm in the same boat Impossible,except that you're starting alot earlier than me,I'm 38 and this was my first season. I've found this forum to be very helpful. There are alot of good hunters here and all are willing to help. I also found a group at MSN Groups called Hunters New and old,all are welcome. They are a great help too.

Steve
Old 12-22-2004, 11:28 PM
Fork Horn

find someone who knows a lot about hunting and pick their brain

TAKE ONLY TROPHIES, LEAVE ONLY GUT PILES