Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 getting started in turkey hunting >

getting started in turkey hunting

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

getting started in turkey hunting

Old 10-22-2007, 04:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default getting started in turkey hunting

ok, well I've never really turkey hunted or anything...only deer hunted and stuff along that line....i was hoping to get into turkey hunting this year and i know there is a TON to learn, where is a good place to get started in learning all this stuff??
Old 10-22-2007, 05:17 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: getting started in turkey hunting

Welcome to the addiction!!

Get some good books and magazines!! That is one of the greatest ways to learn! That and "school of hard knocks"....

Talk to seasoned turkey hunters also!

Good luck!
Old 10-23-2007, 10:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: ICALL2MUCH

...That and "school of hard knocks"....
That is how I learned. I made so many errors my first two or three years turkey hunting. When I look back, I say to myself, man I sure was stupid...why did I do that?? I guess that's the best way to learn.

Read as much as you can about turkey hunting and one of the biggest tools you can have is scout, scout, scout. If you know where they are coming from and heading to...you've got a great advantage.

If you got specific questions, be sure to post them...there are several great turkey hunters here that will bend over backwards to help you...I know....they have for me!
Old 10-23-2007, 07:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

For the first time, I saw a flock of 9 turkeys while deer hunting this past weekend. There were 2 big guys, 3 medium sized, and 4 small one's. Is it normal to be grouped up like that?

I thought they reproduced in the spring, so how would one go about hunting them in the fall? Food sources? Do they have actual nests, or do they just roost on a limb? About how high up would they be?

I'm very new to turkey hunting, this spring will be my first time going out. I've deer hunted for 15 years, and muskie/bass fished even longer than that. Now I'm looking for something new.