Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Worst and best hunt of my life. >

Worst and best hunt of my life.

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Worst and best hunt of my life.

Old 12-19-2004, 02:43 PM

Default Worst and best hunt of my life.

I am now 19 years old and I have been hunting for 5 years. I usually hunt up in the U.P. of Michigan and I have never gotten a deer. Yesterday I hunted in Indiana for muzzeloader season for the first time. I got to my stand at 2:00, I sat there for an hour when finally I see my first deer of the season. It's a doe but I was planning on shooting anything with any size. I pull of my glove and take off the safety, pull up the gun, I put the bead on the deer and pull the trigger. What do I hear? Click! The damn gun didn't shoot, needless to say the deer ran away. At this point I am so pissed almost to the point of tears. This is the first deer I have ever had a chance to shoot at! I end up sitting for another hour when I see two small deer poke out. I sit and watch these deer for about five minutes when finally their mother steps out of the woods. I pull up the gun to shoot again. This time when I pull the trigger I hear a pop! But its not very loud, I sit there for a minute trying to figure out what happened? Well the cap went off but the gun never fired! I was so pissed I stood up and screamed. Well you might be thinking, how is this my best hunt ever? Well I finally got to test my nerves and they passed.
Has this ever happened to anyone else? I'm sure it has but I would like to hear some stories to help ease my pain.
Old 12-19-2004, 03:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Worst and best hunt of my life.

oucccch that stinks.....good job seein the deer.......work on getting your gun to fire....maybe next time you can make some meat!! good luck......wonder why the gun didnt fire?? i dont know poop about inlines or caplocks......just flintlocks.....and i can make mine go bang and make smoke....good luck....get back out there after you find out why your gun didnt go off.....did you get it to fire after your hunt??? after the first time i would got it to go off and made sure it didnt happen a second time........i hope you got it to fire and learned why......
Old 12-19-2004, 04:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

Sounds like a dirty gun problem to me.
Old 12-19-2004, 04:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Happened to me three times in one afternoon...The flintlock hasn't seen the woods since, May it rest in pieces
Old 12-19-2004, 08:27 PM

I may not need to tell you this but just for safetys sake if this happens again be VERY careful for a few seconds because sometimes there can be quite a delay ( several seconds) before the gun goes off
Old 12-19-2004, 09:21 PM

ORIGINAL: mauser06

oucccch that stinks.....good job seein the deer.......work on getting your gun to fire....maybe next time you can make some meat!! good luck......wonder why the gun didnt fire?? i dont know poop about inlines or caplocks......just flintlocks.....and i can make mine go bang and make smoke....good luck....get back out there after you find out why your gun didnt go off.....did you get it to fire after your hunt??? after the first time i would got it to go off and made sure it didnt happen a second time........i hope you got it to fire and learned why......
The gun I used wasnt actually mine, the guy I borrowed from loaded it for me and everything. After the hunt we tried to fire it twice but the cap just went off. It's not my problem anymore though.
Old 12-19-2004, 09:23 PM

ORIGINAL: MarengoJoe

I may not need to tell you this but just for safetys sake if this happens again be VERY careful for a few seconds because sometimes there can be quite a delay ( several seconds) before the gun goes off
Yeah after I shot the first time and it just clicked I started to pull it back but then I realized what I was doing so I pointed it back down at the deer. Thanks anyways though.