Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What was your worst hunt? >

What was your worst hunt?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What was your worst hunt?

Old 12-12-2006, 09:09 PM
Fork Horn

Default What was your worst hunt?

Mine was 2 yrs ago, Managed to get off work early one day, after washing up and getting ready, I found myself sitting in the tree. (WITHOUT MY RELEASE). I left it in my truck,In a way I am kinda glad cause now I have this release obsession.
Old 12-12-2006, 09:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: What was your worst hunt?

i cant recall ANY day in the woods that i wish i hadnt gone out. i honestly believe any day in the woods is better then a day doing anything else.....

and i spend more days afield then most anyone i know..if im not hunting im fishing(alot of that is deep woods fishing) and if im not hunting or fishing im scouting. just getting to the point that ive seen ALOT of stuff that most guys never wanna see in the woods. ive coonhunted in the middle of the night and got caught in NASTY NASTY storms with trees blowing over all around and lightning cracking down. ive been in wind storms, blizzards, thurnderstorms etc...ive hunted in 90+degree heat and sun clear down to below zero with nasty windchills. ive been soaked to the bone and shivering and could barely walk because my bones and muscles got so tight (awesome day turkey hunting that morning but i was soaked waist down and it was about 40 degrees!) ive been slightly turned around for GOOD parts of a day...ive got seperated from part of my group in a nasty nasty thunderstorm and we were ontop of a mountain...i havent seen it all....but ive hunted in alot of nasty stuff and been through some nasty situations...but never had a BAD hunt. ive walked hours and hours on end...stand hunting the rest of the hours of the day to not even see a tweety bird let alone game...still came out laughing and joking with dad.

if i come out of the woods alive it was a good day....if i dont come out alive....i died where i love to be.

im sure forgeting your release and watching monster bucks walk by all morning(heard that story a couple times lol) wasnt a picture perfect situation...but just having the time to be out there to witness those monster bucks is enough for me. im just an odd ball like that. some of my best hunts arent the ones i came home with anything either...i remember one morning i was sitting in my homemade brushblind deer hunting. ive never ever seen a squrriel in that spot ever. that morning was freezing and 6 inches of snow on the ground kept it cold. i always clear out all the snow from that brush blind(its on a boulder) and make it kinda comfy and cozy for me) lunch time im eating a peanut butter and jelly sandwhich and here comes a little red squirrel. i couldnt help but to see if hed eat lunch with me. and he did. im a solid mile from the road. that squirrel never been feed by anyone and here he is sitting IN my brush blind eating the sandwhich i handed him. i went back there a couple more times that season...call me wierd but i packed him a peanut butter and jelly sandwhich every morning and every morning when the sun got above the mountain he would come sit with me. no joke...he was awesome. ill remember my little buddy longer then the time i killed a particular deer...

Old 12-12-2006, 09:31 PM
Boone & Crockett

I can think of a few days afield that were not as good as the others but they still were better than the best day of work.

In short, the day my bow fell and when I grabbed for it and watched my bow fall to the forest floor, I realized I had a fist full of broadhead......retrieved my bow, wrapped a dew rag around my hand and kept hunting, bleeding the entire time from 3 deep cuts in my palm. (3 blade Muzzy, bad to the skin).

Another, standing in my treestand, one hand on my stand, the other on my tree umberella praying the tree will withstand the horrifying lightening/rain storm I was in...yes, I was scared but couldn't convince myself to get down, it was too late. I waited it out.
Old 12-12-2006, 09:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

Ouch!!, wrong kind of blood trail Rob
Dan
ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

I can think of a few days afield that were not as good as the others but they still were better than the best day of work.

In short, the day my bow fell and when I grabbed for it and watched my bow fall to the forst floor, I realized I had a fist full of broadhead......retrieved my bow, wrapped a dew rag around my hand and kept hunting, bleeding the entire time from 3 deer cuts in my palm. (3 blade Muzzy, bad to the skin).

Another, standing in my treestand, one hand on my stand, the other on my tree umberella praying the tree will withstand the horrifying lightening/rain storm I was in...yes, I was scared but couldn't convince myself to get down, it was too late. I waited it out.
Old 12-12-2006, 09:57 PM

Last year hunting in late december in negative degree weather.

My bow hand (glove) froze solid to the grip of my bow. On top of that, I had forgotten my knit cap so the tips of both of my ears froze solid. Worst pain I've ever dealt with was having them unthaw in the truck coming home. Several days later the skin started to turn brown like a sun burn and peeled. Frost bite, but not incredibly bad.

Not fun, kids.
Old 12-12-2006, 10:01 PM
Typical Buck

Last Thanksgiving didn't use my safety vest will going down w/ climber. After a 20ft fall and several broken bones in my shoulder I realized it all could have been prevented. Climbed up and down 100 times but it only takes once use your vest going up and down not just when you get there
Old 12-12-2006, 10:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

I guess it would be the day in Illinois when I got caught in the woodsas a tornado came through. Luckily, I had gotten out of my tree and hunkered down in a creekbed. One of the guys in my group wound up hanging on for dear life while his tree pitched every which way. that was two years ago and I dont think he has been in a tree since.
Old 12-13-2006, 01:59 AM
Site Buck Guru

On Nov. 13, 2004, I was sitting in my stand in the morning, when over 100 hounds and 8 people on horseback came blasting by. They were dressed in funny looking clothes with puffy pants and one guy had what looked to be a very small tuba (some kind of horn). They were surprised when I called out to them from 25 feet up and 20 yards away. They said that they were also hunting. I told them that they were not to be hunting on this land during the bow season. They ignored me and simply rode off. A call to the land owner and they never showed up again. The damage was done for a couple of days. After the hounds, which were shoulder to shoulder, and the horses went through, not even a bird was left in the area. The damage was done and my hunt was ruined. That was the worst hunt of my life.
Old 12-13-2006, 04:10 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: TreeDreamer

Mine was 2 yrs ago, Managed to get off work early one day, after washing up and getting ready, I found myself sitting in the tree. (WITHOUT MY RELEASE). I left it in my truck,In a way I am kinda glad cause now I have this release obsession.
I just started bowhunting this year and i did this same thing my 2nd day out.
Old 12-13-2006, 04:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Mine was two years ago the day before the opener in ILL my buddy wanted to put up 1 more stand and to make a long story short i cut the back of my hand with the gebber saw bad idea!!!! I missed opening morning but my buddy made me a brace that fit my elbow because of the cast after surgery and we lowered the # on my bow to 60 so i could draw it and hunted that night. Well the second night i was out i had a buck that would score right around 200 come in at 40 yards and i was only good and practice a 20 yard shot with the new brace and all so i had to let him walk and i never seen him again!!! Walt

Quick Reply: What was your worst hunt?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.