Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Using Corn Law???

Old 12-13-2004, 04:21 PM

Default Using Corn Law???

I live in Alabama and was hopeing you guys could help me clear this law up.The law states "Hunting is prohibited in any area where feeding has taken place, until all the feed has been removed or consumed for at least 10 days prior to such hunting".Does this mean I can use corn just not hunt over it?

Reason i'm asking is a freind of mine told me that it's only illegal if your hunting over it.It seems everyone uses it out here.They don't seem to specify when they say "area".

I think theirs a couple Alabama folks here,think you could help clear it up for me?
Thanks,
JE
Old 12-13-2004, 04:52 PM

Default RE: Using Corn Law???

not that it helps but here is the Florida law/

Baiting or Luring: Taking any game on any land or waters upon which corn, wheat, grain or any other food or substance has been deposited by other than normal agricultural harvesting or planting is prohibited, except as noted below. In addition to normal agricultural harvesting or planting, mourning and white-winged doves may be hunted over agricultural crops that have been harvested or manipulated on the land where grown and over natural vegetation that has been manipulated.

Resident game, other than wild turkeys, may be hunted in proximity to game feeding stations which have been continuously maintained with feed throughout the year, provided that each feeding station shall have been established at least six months prior to the taking of resident game.

Wild turkeys may not be taken by the aid of baiting or on or over any baited area. Taking wild turkey in the vicinity of a game feeding station is prohibited, unless the hunter is at least 100 yards from the feeding station.
Old 12-13-2004, 04:54 PM
Boone & Crockett

It is at the game warden's discretion. If he thinks/or has reason to believe that you are using bait to lure deer into your shooting area, even if it is 300 yards or more from you, he can write a ticket. That is the way a Alabama game warden explained it to me.
Old 12-13-2004, 05:54 PM
Fork Horn

to me it sounds like if you go out 11 days b4 the hunt and clean up or remove the food or bait then your fine
Old 12-13-2004, 07:26 PM

Remember in the movie ET when the kid lured ET with the pieces of candy. It took me a long time but I placed one kernel of corn about every three feet in a path to my stand hopeing the deer would follow the path but I think when I wasn't looking a squirrel stole a few kernels and broke a hole in the path. This must have confused the deer or the squirrel told the deer of my plan cause they did not follow the path! Dasterdly squirrels!
Old 12-14-2004, 03:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

The best thing you could do is to talk to your local game warden, he or she is the only one that can explain how they interpret the law as written in your state. The law in Georgia is written very similarly and in most jurisdictions is interpreted to mean that all visible evidence of feeding must be removed for at least 10 days prior to hunting within 200 yards of the feeding location.

Just a word of caution if you are going to feed or supplement with corn. Make sure the corn selected is a brand certified for feeding purposes, there are several nasty little organisms that may be found in corn that is not properly handled that can kill deer and turkeys as dead as a bullet.
Old 12-14-2004, 08:41 AM

Same with Coastie...Talk to someone who knows....here in Ga if you are within sight or 200 yards of corn you are illegal. This means you can have corn out 220 yards from your stand but it has to be out of your line of sight....meaning not only can you not see the corn but any deer who may be feeding near that corn. To hunt within 200 yards the corn has to be completely removed or eatin at least 10 days prior to you hunting there.
Old 12-14-2004, 08:47 AM
Boone & Crockett

I thought in Ga. that it was legal to bait deer and hunt the area. Maybe it is just in some areas?
Old 12-14-2004, 04:28 PM

Not where I live in Georgia. Someone I know paid a $347 fine for hunting over corn.