Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Moon rise to deer moves

Old 12-13-2004, 10:34 PM

Default Moon rise to deer moves

I am getting back in to deer hunting after a 25 year spand of not, except for one or two ocassions. Now that I'm older and with less energy to spend, I figured I should try and figure out when the deer are on the move. I have read some articles that touched on the moon rising & setting having something to do with when deer move to fed or bed down. Any and all feedback on this and other habits of deer that might be helpful would be very much appreciated. I'm hunting in north central Arkansas, in the foothills of the Ozarks.
Thanks for your consideration.
Old 12-14-2004, 06:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Moon rise to deer moves

Go to espn.com and link to the outdoors section. There, they have a pretty neat link to the current month's solunar charts. They tell you when the moon is overhead and underfoot. If you read about animal activity levels during these times, you'll learn that there is a correlation.

I use it, but I'd be out there anyway. It just gives me some ray of hope to stay in the stand for the next few hours, a reason to not give up. I carry one in my pack and look it over each day.

Every once in a while, you actually see an animal during the times recommended, and that makes you feel pretty smart.
Old 12-14-2004, 08:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Moon rise to deer moves

Welcome aboard and welcome back!