Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Jeep Anti Commercial?

Old 01-08-2002, 12:26 PM

Default RE: Jeep Anti Commercial?

I saw the add over the weekend during some of the football games (FOX, CBS, ABC and/or ESPN).

Hunting is a right, treat it like a priviledge - respect nature
Old 01-08-2002, 12:58 PM

Mizzlou,

My bad. I shouldn't have pointed to your letter as you took the time to write the company about your concerns which is more than many will do. I am writing the company and will just use a different approach. I've written several companies in the past and generally get that "Oh, that wasn't what we meant by that." response. It's just too easy.

I really feel it was a planned anti hunting add as there are too many things geared to get the attention of anti hunters.

1. Commercial was run during nonhunter programs.

2. The deer are tied on the hood of the vehicle. Something that drives anti's crazy and would definitely get their attention.

3. Showing the vehicle driving by several hunters(some in stands, others in the bushes)

4. Pulling into the nonhunting allowed area and letting them loose say "your safe now".

Making the anti hunter the hero to the anti's in this little scene.

It's an old advertising ploy. Do something to get your intended audience's attention(shock value) Then give them what they want in the end.

Again sorry!

Edited by - Borch on 01/08/2002 16:02:58
Old 01-08-2002, 01:24 PM

I will have to go with BORCH on this one. This does seem like and anti-hunting ad, and if it isn't a TRUE anti-hunting add, is still isn't helping our sport look any better. I have never owned a Jeep. I know that doesn't mean much because I am only 18 and the only car I have ever owned was a 98 Ford Mustang, but I would never buy a Jeep now. I have been thinking about getting rid of the Stang and getting a SUV. Its tought to get to your hunting/fishing spots in a car that is sitting about 4 inches off the ground. I guess that I will stick with the real companies. I really like Ford, their commercial showed a man preparing catfish. That is as far from anti-hunting as most companies will go. I might look at the new Ranger, but sure as hell not a jeep.

Good Luck This Season: Buck Magnet
P.S. Only Chuck Adams can sit at home and see deer so get into the woods. =;^)
Old 01-09-2002, 05:57 AM
Fork Horn

No problem Borch, it takes more than that to offend me. I do encourage you to write in though, and others who feel strongly about it. And I'll still get back to this thread when/if I get a response.
Old 01-09-2002, 06:21 AM
Spike

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE Contact: Doug Jeanneret - 614/888-4868 x 212 January 8, 2002
Beth Ruth - 614/888-4868 x 214
Jeep Takes Cheap Shot at American Sportsmen Through Anti-Hunting Ad

Columbus - DaimlerChrysler, maker of the popular Jeep line of vehicles, has turned its back on
American sportsmen by launching an advertising campaign that glorifies anti-hunters and
vilifies hunters.

In Jeep's 'Deer Hunter' commercial, a man drives a Jeep through a wooded site with two
deer tied on top of the vehicle. As the Jeep drives by, hunters in camouflage are shown
in the woods, in close proximity to each other and the road, admiring the man's deer. The
driver of the Jeep then crosses the road to a location that shows a "No Hunting" sign. The
Jeep stops, the man gets out and releases the deer that appeared to be dead. The driver
tells the deer they are safe and the deer bound away. In the background, other Jeep owners
are shown doing the same thing.

"Although this message was meant to be tongue-in-cheek, it won't be taken that way by
the 40 million sportsmen across America," said WLFA President Bud Pidgeon. "This ad gives
the distinct impression that people who 'save' wildlife from hunters - and drive Jeeps - are
the good guys. In reality, the good guys are American sportsmen. They are our nation's
number one conservationists and they are the reason that America's wildlife is flourishing."

When WLFA officials contacted Jeep, its spokesperson, Diane Jackson, was unwilling to
acknowledge the insulting message portrayed in its commercial.
She said that the ad was
creative and would continue to run nationally.

Apparently, Jeep is not yet listening to its customers. A Jeep employee reported that calls
protesting the commercial were swamping its switchboard.

"Sportsmen need to send DaimlerChrysler and Jeep a strong message that its anti-hunting
sentiments are not appreciated," responded Pidgeon. "As an owner of a vehicle manufactured
by this company, I intend to personally communicate my strong resentment about the direction
this company has taken. I will encourage my friends and colleagues to do the same."

Sportsmen can express their dissatisfaction by contacting DaimlerChrysler at (248) 512-2992
or <font size=3>by faxing (248) 512-1760</font id=size3>. They can also write DaimlerChrysler
CEO Dieter Zetsche at P.O. Box 218004, Auburn Hills, Michigan, 48321-8004.

Edited by - grundsow on 01/09/2002 07:25:11
Old 01-09-2002, 10:23 AM
Fork Horn

You all are a trip. I own two Jeeps, a Grand Cherokee, and a Comanche and I did'nt take any offense w/ the comercial. And yes, I am a hunter and have had dead deer in my truck. You guys are taking this to an extreme. Its more funny than offensive to me. If you guys are saying this comercial is offensive then you mightest well say any comercial that has a human in the woods hiking, eating a candy bar etc. offensive. They are stinking up the woods. Maybe those ads are anti too?lol...If they can stink up the woods where hunters may be today or tommorow, then maybe by being there they are trying scare the deer out of the area to a safer place. I support Jeep and I am not offended.
Old 01-09-2002, 11:57 AM

Be aware, Jeep is now owned by Dodge, so if they are siding with the antis, it runs deeper than just Jeeps.

Dream to Hunt...Hunt to Dream
Old 01-09-2002, 12:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

DaimlerChrysler owns Jeep and Dodge.
Old 01-10-2002, 06:01 AM
Fork Horn

an update:

I got a response to my letter. It basically said &quot;thank you for your letter&quot; and &quot;we appreciate your opinion&quot; without addressing the issue specifically.

Basically, no response from Jeep.
Old 01-10-2002, 06:55 AM
Fork Horn

You all read my opinion. My friend sent me this:

Jeep Takes Cheap Shot At Sportsmen Through Anti-Hunting Ad

DaimlerChrysler, maker of the popular Jeep line of vehicles,
has turned its back on American sportsmen by launching an
advertising campaign that glorifies anti-hunters and
vilifies hunters.

In Jeep's &quot;Deer Hunter&quot; commercial, a man drives a Jeep
through a wooded area with two deer tied on top of the
vehicle. As the Jeep drives by, camouflaged hunters are
shown in the woods, in close proximity to each other and the
road, admiring the man's deer. The driver of the Jeep then
crosses the road to a location posted with a &quot;No Hunting&quot;
sign. The Jeep stops, the man gets out and releases the
deer, which had appeared to be dead. The driver tells the
deer that they're safe and the deer then bound away. In the
background, other Jeep owners are shown doing the same
thing.

&quot;Although this message is meant to be tongue-in-cheek, it
won't be taken that way by the 40 million sportsmen across
America,&quot; said Wildlife Legislative Fund of America
President Bud Pidgeon. &quot;This ad gives the distinct
impression that people who 'save' wildlife from hunters--and
drive Jeeps--are the good guys. In reality, the good guys
are American sportsmen. They're our nation's No. 1
conservationists and they're the reason that America's
wildlife is flourishing.&quot;

Jeep's spokeswoman, Diane Jackson, was unwilling to
acknowledge the insulting message portrayed in its
commercial. She says that the ad is creative and that it
will continue to run nationally.

Apparently, Jeep isn't listening to its customers. A Jeep
employee reports that calls protesting the commercial are
swamping its switchboard.

&quot;Sportsmen need to send DaimlerChrysler and Jeep a strong
message that its anti-hunting sentiments aren't
appreciated,&quot; Pidgeon said. &quot;As an owner of a vehicle
manufactured by this company, I intend to communicate my
resentment about the direction that this company has taken.
I'll encourage my friends and colleagues to do the same.&quot;

Sportsmen everywhere: You can express your dissatisfaction
by contacting DaimlerChrysler at
(248) 512-2992 or by faxing (248) 512-1760.

DaimlerChrysler
CEO Dieter Zetsche can be contacted directly at: Box 218004,
Auburn Hills, Michigan, 48321.

Please send your comments today!

Quick Reply: Jeep Anti Commercial?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.