Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 can a bucks rack change to mirror image?? >

can a bucks rack change to mirror image??

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

can a bucks rack change to mirror image??

Old 12-02-2004, 12:57 PM

Default can a bucks rack change to mirror image??

OK heres the deal, year before last a guy i work with found a pair of sheds from a huge buck on his property, It was a massive 7 point main frame with 6 inch bases, sixteen inch g-2s, a seven inch drop tine on one side, and no eye guards, I gross scored it in the low 160s. He has never seen the deer or has anyone else that he knows of, he had the sheds mounted on a head by a taxidermist. This season, he killed a buck in the same area, actually only a couple hundred yards from where he found the sheds, It is exactly the same as the sheds, 16 1/2 inch g-2s, 6 inch bases, no eye guards, seven point frame, the droptine is now 13 1/2 inches, and has a few extra kickers now, the only thing is that the one he killed is completely a mirror image of the sheds, everything is in the exact place and measurement except for the drop, but just on the wrong side.. Does everyone think it is the same deer just somehow switched sides in his rack, or possibly a mirror image twin,, It is very strange and i just wanted some others opinion.
Old 12-02-2004, 02:46 PM

Default RE: can a bucks rack change to mirror image??

i have no idea on that one .But guessing i say that a twins is a posable or regrowing the rack sound like that could be it as well i know they get bigger each year but not sure if they change
Old 12-02-2004, 03:31 PM
Boone & Crockett

could be the same deer. Yes I have seen over the years buck that have offspring that mirror them,just like people do.
Old 12-02-2004, 03:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

an offspring of the buck that made the sheds?
Old 12-03-2004, 05:44 AM

I do not believe antlers will be the same each year because so many factors are involved than just genes. Age is one, but diet and general health that can change from year to year will also have an effect.
In a controlled environment with regulated diet I am sure sons would look a lot like the father.
Old 12-03-2004, 07:28 AM
Fork Horn

I watched north american whitetail last night. They had video of an albino buck for like 5 or 6 years. It had a drop tine 1 year on 1 side it was on the other side the next but the rest of the rack looked the same.