Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

First feild dress

Old 12-01-2004, 09:03 PM

Default RE: First feild dress

well, i never did until my older brother shot his first deer this previous wkend. i told him that i would show/ teach him how to gut a deer by doing it on his first. and he just happend to gut shoot his first deer of his career. and ya it made me gag, and about yack all over everything. but i gutted o the next day and was fine with it. that was the only time that i have ever been close to throwing up.
Old 12-01-2004, 10:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

The actual process of gutting is not problem unless the gut is punctured. Has anyone else had skin irratation with deer blood? It has only happend once but my hands itched the rest of the day after gutting a deer.
Old 12-02-2004, 01:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

Unless the gut area is distrubed or the animal is not found for a period and begins to bloat, then it is a pretty clean job. If you don't like blood, etc it might be a bit tougher but like anything it does get better with experience. The gut area punctures are where some need to take a step back to grab some fresh air, however it is doable and it will not get easier by waiting so better to get it out and clean asap.

Firehawk, I sometimes get a small reaction when I have a fresh knick or cut, it is itchy and seems to swell in the area of the cut (sometimes causing a slight bit of discharge). I know of one guy who develops a itchy rash when handling with his bare hands, he uses top quality disposable exam gloves when handling the game. He also carries a small bottle of the gel antibacterial lotion (basically alcohol) to rinse hands with as a back up measure. If it seems to cause you a problem look into adding some exam gloves to your pack and possibly something to rinse following. They are readily available at drug store or medical supply companies...best of luck!
Old 12-02-2004, 10:00 PM
Spike

I agree, the gut shot is bad. Of course it really depends on what the animal was eating. Where I normally hunt, the deer usually only feed on buds, acorns, and what not. This year I shot two, one in the gut. Opened her up and found corn meal mix. Don't know where that came from, but it darn near made me heave. Got the job done though.

Best story I can remember was when my buddy and I went out bow hunting sort of hung over, and not much rest. 15 minutes into my day, he comes over and says he's done. I thought he was done for the day, but it turned out that he had already shot 2 deer. Watching him gut out those two deer hung over was priceless.

Unfortunately, I had to drag them out, as he was white as a ghost, and weaker than hell.
Old 12-02-2004, 11:46 PM

this is interesting...i have never gotten sick or quezzy from gutting anything. but one day in high school i sat in on knee surgery on a german shepard. after about 2 minutes i almost passed out..i got really light headed...it ws the wierdest thing i never had that happen before......so i left the room then went back in and it happened again. finally i got used to it. the funny part was when my mom came to pick me up. i told her about it...then she said to the vet well hes a hunter, he guts things all the time and never had that happen before...i turned bright read b/c this is a guy who has dedicated his life to helping animals and here my mom was tell them how i pull them apart.....i hope he understood
Old 12-03-2004, 08:12 AM

Not too bad, unless you accidentaly splash some blood up on your face...and it really warms your hands on a cold day
Old 12-03-2004, 10:47 AM
Dominant Buck

My brother use to get sick with everyone he did. He has finally out grew it. Its about time, he is in his 40s.
Old 12-03-2004, 05:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

If ya gut shoot one cut the deer open and dump out most of the mess, if possible and then drag him a few yards away and finish it up, or just breathe thru your mouth! My buddy started gagging and thats what I hate is hearing someone else gagging, sucks![:'(]
Old 12-04-2004, 11:17 PM

This year really took me back to my first try. My nephew was out with my older brother on his very first hunt. My brother had shot a doe, so my friend and I went to help him out (he need a bit of direction, but did an exceptional job). My nephew did his part, holding the hind legs for his dad. Although he looked a bit 'uncomfortable', he did ok. After the job was done. I pulled out a sandwich, and proceded to eat it while squating over the gut pile, admiring the nice heart shot. He got pretty queasy then , hey, it's my right as an uncle!

The Trashcanman
Old 12-05-2004, 01:12 AM

I take 5-10 deer a year with no problems gutting. Probably because my hands have been in deer since I was 4 or 5. Gutted my own first deer at 12 a long time ago. We drag our deer out to the barn with 4 wheelers whole. Then we field dress them and the guts go over the hill. This also helps to keep the woods cleaner when we take 30-40 deer off the property a year (5 guys). It helps that we have a hose at the barn to wash them out and wash hands / tools immediately. Also helps so that I can wash off and keep the occasional heart and liver (both very tasty). I carry ziplocks for this and a couple pair of exam gloves in case I have cuts on my hands, which I usually seem to have. My brother-in-law has a little bit of a problem, but he just started and I think he's going to get over it. A little tip, I've always used a hatchet to cut through the pelvis, but this year I bought one of the small Gerber saws made to cut through the hocks. It cuts through with a few stokes and leaves a clean cut. Works like a dream and saves some time. Buy one, they're only $15 at the WalMart or Cabela's and well worth it.