Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

SCRAPES

Old 01-07-2002, 12:06 PM

Default SCRAPES

If it is obvious a scrape is visited daily on a ridge top, what times of day and how many times a day does a buck visit?

during rut and before rut
Old 01-07-2002, 12:39 PM

Default RE: SCRAPES

Hey there, Um lets see. They mostly visit them at night 80 % of the time. Once in a while they go aroung checking em during day. Thats why duirng the rut the bucks travel east and west running through all the trails scent checking the does if they r in estrus. I hate scrapes though. If you see them........................ it means a buck is in the area but if u find a line of em. Which is tough. Thats 1 of his trail routes.
Old 01-07-2002, 12:43 PM

They mostly check them at night if it is a hot scrape or primary scrape the buck my hang close to it during the day, about 50 or so yards away he will be downwind from it so he can just scent check it.
Old 01-07-2002, 01:18 PM

thanks powerwagons.
I have spoked ONE deer each morning, the last 4 going in near the scrape. the spooked deer is always about 30 yds away from it, downwind. could this be a buck? it lets me pass him, then when I get real close it bolts. he has even opened up a second smaller scrape right next to it. what do does do? are they attracted to the scrape? I had 5 come right up on me and the scrape sat.

They mostly check them at night if it is a hot scrape or primary scrape the buck my hang close to it during the day, about 50 or so yards away he will be downwind from it so he can just scent check it.
[/quote]
Old 01-07-2002, 01:19 PM

thanks. explain that to me about the scrape line (travel route) versus the one scrape. I am confused.

Hey there, Um lets see. They mostly visit them at night 80 % of the time. Once in a while they go aroung checking em during day. Thats why duirng the rut the bucks travel east and west running through all the trails scent checking the does if they r in estrus. I hate scrapes though. If you see them........................ it means a buck is in the area but if u find a line of em. Which is tough. Thats 1 of his trail routes.
[/quote]
Old 01-07-2002, 01:29 PM

Are you kicking him up in the same spot everyday? If you are just post about 50 yards from where you are kicking him up you should be able to pick him out, or maybe wait till light and try to sneak in on him. The does actually pick the primary scrape, this is the scrape they (the does) prefer.
Old 01-07-2002, 02:28 PM

SAME EXACT SPOT! 4 straight mornings. That is good news—50 yards away is the dirt road (a ridge) I walk in on. I could basically set up there I guess. I have tried coming in after light. It still bolts. I have not seen it. It is elusive for sure. I want it! So, do the does actually touch the scrape or just leave scent?