Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Do you shoot them both?

Old 01-03-2002, 11:18 AM

Default Do you shoot them both?

Scenario: Two deer walk by, bucks, does, doesn't matter. You have tags so that you could legally take both of them. Do you take them both, right then if they give you the shots?
Old 01-03-2002, 11:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Do you shoot them both?

No way. If I had two tags, it's likely because I want to extend my time in the woods. I wouldn't want to instantly end my hunting season. Also, what if they didn't drop on the spot? I'd hate to try to track two deer at the same time. I also wouldn't want to gut or drag two deer either. I'd take the nicest deer. Then I would enjoy having more time in the season to be in the woods.

Scott Meier
White Oak Lodge
Old 01-03-2002, 11:40 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 01-03-2002, 11:43 AM
Typical Buck

I don't know what'd I'd do.Probably only take the buck but if I knew for sure that it'd be a clean and fast kill for them both I might try to take them both.But if I had any doubt whatsoever then no way would I even attempt it.
Old 01-03-2002, 11:46 AM

Boom-yow! Boom-yow! There ya go dinner is served. Now we can go quail hunting and duck hunting. Maybe we can get an unseasonably warm day and go fishing. As short as your seasons are up that way there is no doubt to me Bro.

BanresX308, try shooting them in the neck. They don't flinch, they don't jump, they don't run. They just fall down graveyard dead.

P.S. nny243- answer from a previous thread: we run deer with beagles, walkers, black and tans, and any other old drop that wants to run a deer.

Edited by - shorthair on 01/03/2002 12:48:00
Old 01-03-2002, 11:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Pretty tough to get 2 CLEAN shots before the second deer started running. I don't hunt because I need the meat, just because I like the meat and I love the hunt. I like knowing I beat them fair and square. Getting them in close is the thrill.
It wouldn't be wrong to shoot both if the second deer offered a clean shot, but for me, 1 is enough to haul back to the truck.

Keep 'em all in the Bull.
Old 01-03-2002, 12:00 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote<font size=1 face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
Scenario: Two deer walk by, bucks, does, doesn't matter. You have tags so that you could legally take both of them. Do you take them both, right then if they give you the shots?
<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2 id=quote>

HMMMMMMMMMM..........Lets see now????????? I have done that already, than they made it illegal here in PA. First when they made it illegal, you were required to shoot just one a day, than they changed it to shoot & clean it & &quot;SECURE IT&quot;, which was inturpeted as take to your vehicle, camp, or 'wherever', now this year they changed it again. You can shoot two in one day (if you have YOUR OWN tags for them), but you must &quot;Tag the first one before shooting the 2nd one&quot;!!!!!!!!! ????????????? *********

This morning I was out with my smoke pole, saw a group of 11, which contained 3 buck. One nice one, one REAL NICE one, and a so-so one. I watched them all walk past. We are only allowed 1 buck a year here in PA, and I shot mine with my bow earlier.

I still have two antlerless tags.
Old 01-03-2002, 12:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Where I hunt it is only one per day, however, if it is legal and you can get a clean shot on both without rushing or playing spray and pray then go for it. My ex father-in-law has killed two deer with one shot on a few occasions.
Old 01-03-2002, 01:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

I wouldn't take both unless it was a monster buck and his huge girlfriend. Definately take the buck first, then decide if the running shot on the doe is worth the risk. I agree with Barnes X, if I buy two tags, I am looking forward to at least two days of hunting. I hate hearing that guys go out and shoot two or three a day. It's cool that they can, but I'd rather spend more time hunting than just one day. Plus, once you shoot the first, even if it is a clean one shot kill, the second is going to be running away from you, a bad shot with any gun, makeable, but not a good one to take.
Old 01-03-2002, 02:28 PM

YES!!! I hunted in Georgia last week for six days with Larry338. On Tuesday evening, right before dark, two does came out in to the field we were hunting and I was able to take them both. If I would have had only two tags, I may not have made that decision, but at that point in time, I had eight tags to fill. It was a great hunt and will be remembered for many years to come. Thanks for the memories Larry!

Dena

Quick Reply: Do you shoot them both?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.