Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

need advice from ohio hunters

Old 11-22-2004, 07:34 PM

Default need advice from ohio hunters

Hello. I'm new to the forums. What an awesome tool for sportsmen/women. Anyway, I'm a western PA hunter who will be hunting Ohio's gun season for the first time. I am considering the Grand River WA or the Brush Creek WA as they are close by. (I'm 20 minutes from Youngstown.) Any advice on these two areas as far as opening day crowds, quality and quantity of deer, and areas to try? Thanks much!

PS: I did take my Brittany spaniel to Grand River on Saturday. I was most impressed with the management of this wildlife area. So much better than our PA gamelands. I emailed Ohio DNR and told them so.
Old 11-23-2004, 01:40 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: need advice from ohio hunters

try the forums on ohiosportsman.com.
Old 11-24-2004, 09:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

Brush Creek is good so is another area close by there called Highland Town. I've hunted Highland Town a lot, plenty of deer and some very good bucks. There was a nontypical 17 point running down there by the land managers house, don't know if he was ever tagged.

I can't speak for crowds and such during gun season as I only bow-hunt in Ohio. Generally on the Bow season opener there are maybe 5 or 6 vehicles in the general area I hunt.
But the vast majority tend to hit the opener and maybe the next weekend and then you have the woods to yourself.

I would say from what I've seen, get into the middle of the area. Most everyone I've seen hunts real close to the access points. Maybe they'll walk up one of the many cleared trails but I never see anyone in the tangles and deep woods, and as you know the deer are gonna find these spots once the shootin starts. Good Luck and let us know how it goes.
Old 11-24-2004, 10:05 AM

I have never hunted Brush Creek, but have heard once daylight breaks, all you see is orange. I have seen alot of nice deer taken from there, alot taken during midday (11:00 to 1:00). My friends tell me, once the shooting starts (and it will start) get ready, because its only a matter of time until you see deer. Granted, you have to put yourself in a decent position (funnel, heavy cover, etc.). You never know, you may get lucky and have a nice buck come trotting by. I personally hunt immediately south of Highlandtown (mostly archery and some gun) and on opening day there will be a parade of cars heading down Route 164 until you reach Route 39. Then about 99% of the cars will continue down towards Salineville (Brush Creek) and the rest head east towards Highlandtown or private land. I think the Highlandtown area is a hidden gem. I mostly small game hunted there late in the year. Very nice area, alot of deer and not alot of hunters but enough to get the deer moving. Good luck, sit tight,and shoot straight!!!
Old 11-24-2004, 02:53 PM

Teacher - If you don't mind driving a little farther, head south down to the Salt Fork WMA. On opening day, there can is a bundle of hunters, but the area is really big and some nice deer come out of there. I've run into a lot of folks from the Youngstown area hunting Salt Fork.