Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What am I doing Wrong

Old 11-21-2004, 09:03 AM

Default What am I doing Wrong

Opening morning i get in the stand early and see a six point thats it. Sunday i saw the buck i was after a nice 10pt but he wont cooperate. Well I go to school during the week and get out at 3:15 by the time i get home, its 4. I get to the stand about 4:15 and he's already out there in front. so i turn around becuase I dont want to scare them off. Well this weekend saturday morning i see some does but not him. evening time i see nothing and i was in there by 2. I slept in this morning and didnt go, but i am thinking about going about 1. Is it me or will my luck ever change.

what times to go in and out of the woods.
Old 11-21-2004, 09:56 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: What am I doing Wrong

oh dont ever sleep in if you got to go to school during the week. Big bucks just smarter then other deer so it takes time.
Old 11-21-2004, 11:35 AM
Boone & Crockett

Never get a real deer in your dreams
Old 11-21-2004, 11:59 AM

ya but you can get some pretty nice imaginary ones!!!
Old 11-21-2004, 12:15 PM

Exactly... don't sleep in!!! You don't know if you don't go!

Go every chance you get!
Old 11-21-2004, 01:37 PM

man this is from my experience....everytime i have neglected to get my sorry a** out the bed... either my dad has hunted my stand and killed a big deer...or sum1 road hunting got the buck i was after at a specific spot...or sum1 spotted a nice deer next to my hunting area i had picked out for the morning or evening hunt. As a mattter of fact dad killed a nice big bodied 6 pointer 2 weeks ago during muzzleloader when i didnt wanna get up after a laaattee nite out at cotton eyed joes....that dagum thing hit the scales at a buck 50. so i guess u are doing sumthing wrong....success comes wtih time spent in the stand. ya have to put ur time in to be a consistent taker or trophy deer because they are a totally different breed of deer...nothing like their younger companions of the summer time an nothing like their opposite sex. although i know many people have went their first time an busted a big one... im not to say that quick luck is impossible but it helps to be an avid hunter to take lots of good deer.
Old 11-21-2004, 01:51 PM

Well I got in the stand about 1, about 2 or so, he shows up about 200yrds aways with some does. Well all the sudden they all just take off and scatter. There is a creek behind my stand, and some kids were arrowhead hunting and were coming through the woods on the other side of the creek, then they get in the creek and go walking by, i just sit there, cuz its not our property back there, well about 20 mins go buy and they come walking in the corn about 30 ft in front of me on out property now. so i yell "are you lost", they jump and apologize, and show me an arrowhead prolly 6 inches long perfect, and there like that bucks in my yard all the time, and just keep apologizing, so I came home.

Just watching the colts kick the bears but know.

Another shot at him gone..

I think i might be sick this week since school is only 2 days and theres thanksgiving.
This coming weekend is the last for shotgun too. I might have to invest in a muzzleloader.. since it starts on dec 4
Old 11-21-2004, 03:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think that gettin "Buck fever" so you can stay home is something we have all done. So if the grades are where they should be then get him. But if he is in an area where there are not too many other "deer" hunters he'll probably wait for you. You might consider setting up on him differently if possible. It sounds like you using that same stand most of the time. It's probably fine, especially if the deer are staying well away from the stand. If they are coming close by it your telltale scent traces could eventually cause him to become more secretive or nocturnal. He could be moving most of the day (especially in thicker cover) so take your lunch and stay out there hunting all day if your schedule allows. You'll run into him again. For god's sake shoot him this time--ha ha
hb