Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 How Do You  Set Up To Rattle ?? >

How Do You Set Up To Rattle ??

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How Do You Set Up To Rattle ??

Old 11-20-2004, 07:55 PM
Super Moderator

Default How Do You Set Up To Rattle ??

I am getting the main Idea of how to rattle.

Buuuut I need information on how to set up to do it.

How do you set up so the deer will come in from in front of you and not behind ??

And how do you set up so the deer don't see you ??

Thank You Very Much.

jrbsr
Old 11-20-2004, 11:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: How Do You Set Up To Rattle ??

Without knowing your area it is abit tough to tell you where or how to set up but first off you must know the terrain and how the deer travel in that terrain.

I personally rattle very close to the bedding areas, in hopes of drawing a mature buck out to my location. What I look for is natural funnels from the bedding area to where I may setup to rattle. When ever I enter a area I look for a few keys; bed, transition and safety. When picking my rattling point I want the deer to feel more safe coming to me vs around me. I basically place myself in a area where I feel the bucks are less likely to circle or be able to circle the spot. Their is no way to be 100% sure they will not come in the backdoor, so when I setup I make sure I have shooting lanes in every direction. As such hunting the deep transition areas I do, sitting in heavy woods and rattling would be counterproductive as I don't really know where they may come from giving them safety in all areas and limited lanes to shoot or view. I look for less dense areas, ridgeline points, bottlenecks, open meadows, fencelines, draws, swamps, etc.

I hunt on the ground, outiline break up is important so if on a higher vantage point I try to get where I blend into the hillside (not the top but the frontside or backside if there is decent backing). The flat areas I use brush or tree bases as backing. Never really to worried about my front cover unless it is large open spaces, as a deer that pops out is well inside of my range. Movement is another key, once I am finished rattling the gun/bow is in my hands and I am ready. I become very attentive and pan with my eyes vs gross movements. Also important is one must be able and willing to shoot from the position, so if sitting causes a problem for you then you'll have to adapt your ambush spot to suit your shooting style. Standing I would use a large base tree or similar.

You can also use some doe or buck scent to help mask the backdoor, it isn't foolproof but it may buy you a few extra seconds. I have done this and it has worked, I use unscent OB tampons and hang them 18-36" of the ground around my location.

I am not sure if this helps you but just think safety, know your wind, where you expect the bulk to come from and be ready. Also when rattling in tight don't be over zealous with your intial offerings.

Best of luck!