Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

SAD NEWS CLOSE TO HOME

Old 01-07-2002, 10:15 AM
Typical Buck

Default SAD NEWS CLOSE TO HOME

I SAW THIS ON THE NEWS AND THOUGHT WOW,, THATS CLOSE TO WHERE I LIVE.. JUST GOES TO SHOW ONCE AGAIN, MAKE SURE SOMEONE KNOWS WHERE YOU HUNT BEFORE YOU GO..

Home Page/News/Story

Hunter Who Fell Waited 27 Hours For Help
Man Hospitalized In Critical Condition
Posted: 11:29 a.m. EST January 7, 2002
Updated: 11:38 a.m. EST January 7, 2002

MIDDLEBURG, Fla. -- A man who fell from a hunting perch and lay injured on the ground in freezing weather for 27 hours before someone happened by was in critical condition Monday, three days after his rescue.
Ed Dykes, 53, who was deer hunting alone, was left paralyzed from a fall at about 10 a.m. Thursday, about five miles from Camp Blanding and 600 yards from the nearest road, said Capt. David Motes of the Clay County Fire-Rescue Department.

Dykes was found by another hunter Friday afternoon and was flown to Shands Jacksonville hospital.

His brother, Richard, said Dykes was taking his coat off or changing position when a limb broke. Richard Dykes said the fall severed his brother's spine.

Temperatures Thursday night and early Friday dipped into the mid 20s.

Motes said no one knew where Dykes was hunting that day.

Edited by - BUCKINTHEWOODZ on 01/07/2002 11:38:01
Old 01-07-2002, 10:31 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: SAD NEWS CLOSE TO HOME

BUCKINTHEWOODZ that is a sad story, I read in our local paper that 5 hunters have been killed so far this season in Va. I beleive that 3 were killed falling out of tree stands! Folks PLEASE wear a safety harness!

The Tazman
Old 01-07-2002, 11:17 AM

If I'm hunting very far from the house I will usually carry a cell phone. There's a chance the phone may not work where your hunting but, i'd rather have a cell phone that may not work than to not have one at all.
Old 01-07-2002, 11:26 AM
Typical Buck

Just goes to show it can happen to anyone of us at any time...ALWAYS,,,wear that belt..

The 60 seconds it takes could save you.
Old 01-07-2002, 11:53 AM
Boone & Crockett

smokpole I have to admit I do not carry my cell with me and I should....I just want to get as far away from the modern era as I can. Oh and just to let you all know smokpole has a safety harness and pull rope in every one of his stands. I should carry my cell and considering that I don't always hunt spots where the twins no where I am at I should, and next season will.

The Tazman
Old 01-07-2002, 01:55 PM

this hunter was wearing a harness but removed it temporary so he could take his jacket off. Terrible.
Old 01-07-2002, 02:17 PM

Unfortunately, that's typically when you don't have your strap attached yet is when your either climbing the tree or situating yourself in the stand and that's usually when a fall occurs. I have to admit, even though I believe that I'm one of the more safety minded hunters, that I am guilty of not wearing my straps when I probably need them the most.
Old 01-07-2002, 02:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Fall restaints are great ,but be sure you have one that fits you and will take the strain of a fall .A single belt is not the ticket .