Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

My Opening Weekend

Old 11-10-2004, 07:43 PM

Default My Opening Weekend

The opening weekend for whitetail here in Texas was Nov. 6. I started off early saturday morning, but saw nothing worth shooting. That afternoon I decided to go Axis Deer hunting were I had scouted 4 or 5 good axis bucks. After 15 minutes of sitting, 2 young axis began to fight. Not long afterwards I heard the bellow of a mature axis. I finally located the big buck 500-600 yards away trying to woo several does that were with him. He didnt budge for 30 minutes so I decided to go to him. After 45 minutes of crawling I was around 250, and decided to go ahead and shoot. One blast from my dads .300 WSM, and the Axis was down. He had 33" mainbeams, and Huge brow tines and G2's.

The next Day, Sunday, I woke up early and began to work the fields, searching for some rutting bucks. Soon after I had began hunting, I saw a very large deer chasing a doe across the flat. It seemed to be a nice deer, so using a branch as a rest i tryed to wait for the deer to stop, but it grew nearer and nearer to the brush. Just before it reached the brush I aimed a foot or so in front and squeezed off a shot. the buck dropped in its tracks from the 300 wsm. It was a 10 point, 21 inch spread, nice buck. The amazing thing is this buck is only 3.5 years old.

The pictures dont seem to load. Help would be appreciated.
Old 11-10-2004, 07:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: My Opening Weekend

Awesome weekend, I cant help ya with pics but im sure someone will be along shortly. Congrats on the success!