Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

OPENING WEEKEND

Old 10-16-2003, 08:16 AM

Default OPENING WEEKEND

Well here in the south in the state of Georgia it is opening weekend of gun season. I think more people look forward to this than any other time of the year. It has always amazed me at what time you hear the first shot. Those of you from down here know what i mean. I always wonder and laugh to myself when i hear the first shot and it is always 15 min before sunrise. Question Can anyone tell me what they are shooting at, because i hunt a field with an awesome scope and when i hear the first shot i cant see my hand in front of my face. What are they shooting at? Or do they just shoot up in the air to celebrate opening morning. Please someone give me some type of explanation.

Old 10-16-2003, 08:30 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: OPENING WEEKEND

All of us hunters in GA can' t wait for opening first light. I probably won' t sleep the night before, I never do! As far as seeing before daylight, I really have no problem doing that at all, though sometimes I can' t tell the size of the rack if its a buck that early in the AM. The 30 minutes before sunrise rule in GA is pretty good over all, I think. I have a redot with no magnification on one gun and a Simmons Aetec on the other. Both work well in low light conditions.
Old 10-16-2003, 08:36 AM

Hey buddy, I am saying have you ever been sitting in your stand in the pitch black and hear shots off in the distance knowing there is no way they can see what they are shooting at because it is pitch black. Amazes me every year. I can see good in the morning with my swavorski but obviously not like some folks can in the pitch black. Listen opening day when you hear the first shot and see if you can see most the time you will be amazed. I think it could be some headlight hunting
Old 10-16-2003, 08:40 AM
Typical Buck

Now if your talking about ' no light' , well it' s probably a night hunter or something like that. We really don' t have that alot where we hunt. I' ll pay attention Sat AM and let you know when I hear the first one.
Old 10-16-2003, 12:29 PM

It seems like it happens every season when I hunt up in Oklahoma. I' ve always wondered how the hunter could see to shoot.
Old 10-16-2003, 12:55 PM

Man, what a great time for we native Georgia Boys. I am with ya' ll....hard to sleep the night before & I dream of those wily Southern whitetails. I love to hear that first shot b/c I can picture some hunter out there like me just loving to be alive & in the Georgia outdoors.

This will be the firts time in about 20 years I will not be hunting our lease in Wilkinson County, but instead I will be bow hunting on my family farm down here in N Fl. Do not fret, for I will be in Wilkinson in early November hoping to drop mossy horns.

Old 10-16-2003, 02:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

You have to love gun season. You are sitting in your stand you hear bang, bang, bang like 4 times in a row. Gee the most shots you are going to get off on a deer is two at the most. I hate it when people shoot at running deer.