Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Hunting tools

Old 11-03-2004, 09:02 AM
Fork Horn

Default Hunting tools

Here's some things I'm looking at purchasing this year to improve my hunt, wondering what everyone's opinions are:

1) I'd like to hear from all you that use calls when hunting bucks. Any opinions on a good call to purchase?

2) I was watching OLN last night, they had a couple shows with buck hunters using the "can". Some call that looks like a little can with holes in it, they'd flip it over and back up and it would make a sound like a doe calling. Anybody use this with success?

3) Anybody use rattle bags with success?

4) Can't put up a treestand where I hunt, so I've been hunting the area by sittin in the cover of fallen trees or resting against trees. Now I'm considering some better cover with a blind. So my question is what portable ground blinds does everyone recommend? Most the stores seem to have a ton of selection. Obviously I want something that will blend well with the surroundings, is dark inside to hide me better, has good viewing range out all sides, easy/quick to setup & take down, preferably $100 or less. Here's the 3 blinds I've narrowed it down to:

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/cata...=&cmCat=3333814

Old 11-03-2004, 10:16 AM

Default RE: Hunting tools

I use the H&S True Talker and one of the doe cans and that's all I need. The True Talker is tons better than any of the long, heavy, wooden ended buck calls I have. With the True Talker you can switch from doe to buck with just the biteing down of a small latch on top of it. It weighs hardly nothing and the price you can't beat---7 bucks. It's the last call you'll ever need. And as far as blinds go I'd check out www. sportsmansguide.com first. I bought one of the teepee blinds a couple years ago and wish I'd got a round house one---especially for bow hunting. It gives ya tons more room to draw the bow. The extra 10-20 bucks for the round one is really worth it. Their price will be way under bass pro shops and you'll get about the same thing. Be sure to get one with the shoot-thru windows and your background will be black. Hope any of this helps ya out....
Old 11-03-2004, 10:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Hunting tools

Many use "the can" which you referred to and swear by it. Easy to use and operate. However if your looking to make doe and buck sounds with a call the HS True Talker would a great one to look into, it will allow you to switch calls by depressing bands on the call vs removing and moving a oring.

Personally I use mostly mature buck grunts and use the Knight and Hale EZ Grunter. If I want to replicate a doe or fawn I will use my voicebox instead of a manufactured call but again I rarely use these calls so buying "the can" or HS True Talker would mean carrying stuff I really don't need. I am not much of a blind caller unless rattling and the rattling is what I use to attract the calls I throw in are just more realism if you will. The rest of the time I will use a call in a visual only situation, the grunt or whistle will get it done here. I guess you must decide what calling or techniques you want to use then pick the calls or call that is best suited.

Rattling is one my favorite techniques as such I have tried the rattle box, rattle bags and fake horns. Nothing beats the real thing IMHO!!! One reason is tone, second is I rake trees and the ground when rattling to add again realism to the session(real horns work best here). I also don't smash my antler together but rather grind and tinkle them, yes I change the intensity and tone but by way of twisting my hands at different rates. So my vote goes for chopping off a set of real horns harvested or some fresh sheds found. Ones that lay our are not good as they sound hollow.

I also hunt the ground and use natural cover to help conceal me vs a blind.

Best of luck.