Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Question on Upstate NY Deer Hunting >

Question on Upstate NY Deer Hunting

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Question on Upstate NY Deer Hunting

Old 10-21-2004, 09:54 AM

Default Question on Upstate NY Deer Hunting

I am a fairly new hunter in the Tioga County NY area of New York. I currently have upgraded my tree stand and have been in the woods the past 2 weekends. I have noticed that there have been 7-8 does near my stand but have not seen any Bucks. There are no rubs and or scrapes in the area. I hunt on my father in laws 200 acre land and have only seen 2 other rubs. I have always heard where there are doe there have to be bucks. Is this true? I am hoping that is is still early for the bucks not to be rubbing and scraping. I have also placed some mineral licks out in 3 differant areas of my stand. I hope this helps. Just havent seen many bucks which is a little discouraging. Thanks for any help that any of you can offer.
Old 10-21-2004, 10:11 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Question on Upstate NY Deer Hunting

Where there are doe's there will be bucks! The bucks like to hang back away from the doe's until it's rut time. If you have doe's around it's just a matter of time until the bucks come looking for them! Hang in there ... Good Luck! ....Jim
Old 10-21-2004, 11:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

don't fret. there are plenty of bucks around. give it a week or 2 and they will be coming out of the woodwork. Tioga Co. is a very good place to hunt. good luck.
Old 10-21-2004, 08:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

While it is true that there are usually bucks where you find does...it doesn't mean they will show up at the same time...

The peak of the rut is probably 3-4 weeks away yet, so you won't see much scraping for about another 1.5 weeks.

However, you should be able to find rubs. Find the rubs, and you'll find the bucks.

And I haven't hunted NY in a few years, but licks were considered bait, and baiting is illegal. Check your regs...
Old 10-22-2004, 07:59 AM
Boone & Crockett

You should start seeing some scrapes and rubs now.