Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Shot placement question

Old 10-21-2004, 07:44 PM
Fork Horn

Default Shot placement question

Ok, if you have a deer standing broadside 100 yards out and you are hunting with a gun other than a shotgun, what would be your preferred shot placement? I have heard to go low for the heart, mid for the lungs, or high for the shoulder blade/backbone, but I was wondering what the rest of you hunters here would say is the best (fastest kill) shot placement for an accurate hunter to make?
Old 10-21-2004, 07:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Shot placement question

While all shots will work the mid line just behind the front shoulder will produce a double lung shot (very effective and ethical). It also allows some margin of error to also produce a clean/ethical harvest.
Old 10-21-2004, 08:13 PM
Typical Buck

I must agree with Skeeter. He hit the nail on the head!
Old 10-21-2004, 08:28 PM
dpv
Typical Buck

Standing broadside? Hit the shoulders, right at heart level. Heart, lung, pins. That's the shot I want.

David
Old 10-21-2004, 08:43 PM
Boone & Crockett

Take out the lungs, go get the truck.
Old 10-21-2004, 09:34 PM
Boone & Crockett

If they are close to a place to escape, A deep draw or fence into posted land, I want the high shoulder shot. Just at the top of or just over the shoulder blad. This hit will put them opn the ground at the shot and cause them to be paralized. It may take a finishing shot but they are going nowhere. I have used this shot a lot. If they are far from cover then the heart/lung shot is the way to go. I do the shoulder shot only when I have a good rest. This isn't a big area to hit.
Old 10-21-2004, 10:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Lungs!
Old 10-21-2004, 10:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

i consider myself a decent shot, but i would still go for the lung shot, i have no problems with my traking ability, to me a neck/spine shot is to risky (for me), to you guys that like it go for it.
Old 10-22-2004, 01:09 AM

I prefer the shoulder blade shot myself. Hit the shoulder and cut out his transportation (can't run) Also a bullet striking a large bone such as the shoulder will cause the bullet to expand quicker delivering more energy or shock to the animal. If the bullet does come apart (jacket / core seperation) then you have pieces of bullet hitting the heart and lungs at the same time. I've never had to track a deer that was hit solid in the shouler, they all fell where they were standing.

My 2 pennies worth!
Old 10-22-2004, 01:25 AM
Boone & Crockett

Boiler room

Quick Reply: Shot placement question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.