Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

a deer hunting question

Old 10-18-2004, 07:31 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: a deer hunting question

I took 2 fawns in my lifetime one I found injured and it couldn't stand up the other was mistaken I.D. I have to say even though I felt wierd taking such a young deer the meat was awesome! I must admit I feel a little bad for all the deer I kill young or old! I don't think It would bother me too much to take other young deer in the future. It's the meat I'm after and they sure do taste good! but thats just me....Sorry if that bothers anyone I'm just not a big rack hunter. I'm a deer hunter! To me all racks are awesome trophies!........Shoot straight....Jim
Old 10-19-2004, 01:59 PM

The area we hunt in MN is an intensive harvest zone, so there are a lot of deer of all sizes running around. Some of the guys I hunt with say, "if it's brown, shoot it down," but even they usually won't shoot a fawn. If they do, they'll get crap for it. I guess it's just a matter of preference, and like others said, what you're objective is (meat or trophy). I go either way.
Old 10-19-2004, 02:44 PM

I guess I think in the original scenario, someone should have stood up to the ones who were giving the new hunter grief. The point being, shooting a young deer is neither inethical, nor illegal, nor in anyway wrong or stupid. It's a mistake only in terms of holding out for a larger deer if a good supply of meat is the goal, or if a trophy is personally important to the guy.

In fact, an arguement could be (and should have been) made that shooting a young deer, is much smarter than shooting an older deer, especially a big antlered buck. It's easier to handle and is more likely to have tastier meat. Better for population control - male or female, this deer will never breed. Better for QDM: this deer, with a lower natural survival rate than a mature deer, is better to shoot than a prime mid-aged breeder that hasn't achieved trophy status. This should have been stated loud and clear to the ones giving grief as well as the proud new hunter.

The last thing that should have been done is to give him any indication that he shouldn't do it in the future - unless, again, the idea is to hold out for a larger deer for the sake of more meat.

Assuming antlerless is legal, it is in no way "better" to hold out for a buck. Other than the trophy factor, which is strictly a personal decision.

The word Bambi was used in the original post (and I know it was just a phrase, not really meaning doe-eyed, cute Bambi). But I do think there is a touch of the Bambi syndrome among those who think shooting small, young deer is wrong. A minor and harmless variation of the same Bambi Syndrome that non, or anti-hunters have in thinkng a cute, lovable animal shouldn't be killed. A fawn is small and cute and therefore is more worthy of protecting than it's grown mother or father. I just don't see any logic behind this, and therefore think it's emotion.

Remember, I said **minor** and **harmless** type of Bambi Syndrome. It's a FAR, FAR cry from the full-blown totally unrealistic Bambi Syndrome that anti-hunters have which they try to plant on the rest of us. I really don't care if a person choses not to shoot any particular animal, for whatever reason they have, even emotional reasons. Really, I'm sincere about that. There is absolutely nothing wrong in making hunting decisions for personal, even emotional reasons. But that's different than actually thinking or telling someone it's wrong for them to do it, when it plain ain't wrong! Just the opposite, it's good for many reasons.
Old 10-20-2004, 12:26 AM
Typical Buck

I can tell you that my first bow kill was a fawn and the meat was fantastic. I can understand if he is braggin because he is happy about the situation. The best thing you can do is congratulate him and say good job. You can tell him that if he is doing any QDM then he should hold off for mature does b/c mature does have a greater potential to produce twins than younger does thus reducing the population.
Old 10-21-2004, 03:44 PM
Typical Buck

Taking of fawns is kind of a touchy subject, but in reality there is a good case to be made in favor of it. In any wildlife population, the young of the year will have natural death rates that are many times higher than adults. Here in Montana, with deer or elk, it is usually the case that 6 or 7 out of every 10 fawns or calves die before they reach their first birthday. So a fawn that is harvested by a hunter would probably have died anyway, so in a sense that kill is "free".

Personally, I won't kill a fawn because the amount of meat is so small, but there is nothing intrinsically wrong with it.
Old 10-23-2004, 05:14 AM

Sounds like your buddy shot the deer for the right reason - food. It's give and take. I'm sure you've seen many shows where certain individuals hunt soley for the size of the antlers. That's what gives hunting a bad rap. But to answer you question, most states allow the hunter to bag a buck or doe (fawn is considered a doe until it grows legal antlers).
Old 10-23-2004, 10:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

I started deer hunting in WV when I was 10 years old. I am now 34. I did not shoot my first deer until I was 14--you should have seen it--it was a scrubby fork horn that was gray as hell, and was missing one foot--my friend mentioned that he thought the deer had a membership in AARP but I was happy and to me, he was a trophy and I hope those are the same kind of feelings your friend has. Its all based on the amount of hunting experience an individual has and the reasons they are pursuing this lifelong lifestyle ( which is awesome). I hope the grief he was given over it by other "hunters?" was good natured--if not, then I would not consider those people as knowing anything about hunting. taking his first deer is an accomplishment and it should not be down graded. Hunting is not about the kill, its about experiences gained, animals respected, and the memories and most of all its about having fun in an ancient game.
Old 10-24-2004, 12:56 AM
Boone & Crockett

I try not to,but Gee his first ,give the guy a break. As we mature as a hunter we go thru stages.Next year his goals will be higher and as he gets educated his skills and goals will improve
Old 10-25-2004, 03:39 PM

ORIGINAL: cardeer

I try not to,but Gee his first ,give the guy a break. As we mature as a hunter we go thru stages.Next year his goals will be higher and as he gets educated his skills and goals will improve
In a lot of places, the highest goal is in fact herd management, not the size of the deer or it's antlers. To a lot of people, the highest goal is simply getting meat. The idea that a buck is a higher goal or indication of a higher skill isn't true in the places I hunt. Although I totally understand why people want to hold out for trophy bucks, and more power to them, it's not necessarily a sign of higher skill or higher goal. The biggest antlers I've personally seen - moose and white tail - were taken by good, but not exceptional hunters and were just by chance, right place, right time.