Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Public Land Blues

Old 10-14-2004, 03:33 PM
Spike

Default Public Land Blues

According to my log, I've spent right at 60 hours in the stand already this year during bow and blackpowder seasons, and I've only seen 1 deer for about 10 seconds. Between the hurricanes, the heat, the rain, the humidity, other hunters, and everything else that could possibly go wrong, it's been a slow start to the 04 deer season. Last year, I hunted the same land and saw at least one deer every time out.

Sorry for the negativity, just needed to vent. Anyone else encountered a slow start this year?
Old 10-14-2004, 03:49 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Public Land Blues

It's a little early to be getting discouraged , isn't it ?
I'm not sure when the chase and rut phases begin in Georgia but they aren't really even chasing yet here . With all the rough weather you guys have had it's little wonder the deer are not patterning like usual , give it some time and just enjoy your time in the great outdoors .

BTW , the only deer that I've seen lately have been does , and only before sunrise . It sounds to me like you're doing better than I am .
Old 10-14-2004, 04:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

From what I've heard it's been a slow start most everywhere. But at least you can be thankful that your getting to spend that much time in your stand. I've only had time to get out there 3 times this season so far, but I've got a three day weekend starting tommorow and I'll be hard to get ahold of by sunrise.
Old 10-14-2004, 05:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here in New Jersey I hunt public land also. From 1996-2000 I would see at least 30 deer per day, then in 2001 I saw maybe 3 deer per day. Like you I was like what the heck was goin on. I then went deeper into the woods, maybe about 700 yds deeper in, I see now from 2002 to present time maybe 15/20 deer per day, but like some others said its early, and for me I hunted 3 days since our opener October 1 I saw only 5 deer, 4 bears, 3 coyoties, no turkies, friends saw 2 deer, 2 bears, 3 coyoties, and also no turkies. Give it sometime
Old 10-14-2004, 08:31 PM
Boone & Crockett

Our season does not start for another month yet. It only runs two weeks. Doe tags can be filled for a few extra weeks. For deer I hunt 90 percent private land.
Old 10-14-2004, 09:44 PM

I also am forced to hunt public land and I hate it, its so crowded that I am almost afraid to shoot for fear of shooting some one that I didnt see. I been shot at twice and I wince everytime I go there but I love to hunt so I go on. I am disabled so I really cant get in to far I usually hunt the out skirts hoping for a deer to run out. So far I have gotten a deer every year I just hope my luck doesnt run out. We only have a 9 day Gun deer season so it pretty tough.
Old 10-15-2004, 01:42 AM
Boone & Crockett

Wont step foot on the public land here in Pa. Sounds like a war on opening day. People all over zigging bullets at any movement. Sometimes you cant even find a parking spot
Old 10-15-2004, 02:48 PM

I wish we were all as close as we are on the internet. I'd invite you to come hunt with me. Public land can be tough but stick with it. As the weather turns colder things will improve.