Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Do you like your Gerber?

Old 10-12-2004, 11:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Do you like your Gerber?

Been using Gerber's since I lost my Case XX a number of years ago. Light, reasonable, nonslip handle, durable and easy to tune make it a good field use knife. I would buy another!!
Old 10-12-2004, 11:28 AM
Fork Horn

Never heard of it, but kids like the food haha
Old 10-20-2004, 01:19 PM

I just bought a Gerber Freeman Fixed (drop without the guthook). A friend of mine has used one for a while and loves it. I haven't used mine in the field yet, but I can tell you that it's a sweet knife, especially for $40
Old 10-24-2004, 12:52 PM

I have had all the major brands and Ka-Bar holds and edge and re-sharpens the best I have found.
Old 10-24-2004, 04:37 PM

like it?????????Heck no i LOVVVEE it. i got one of the universal ones last christmas and dont go with out it. It saved me many times when i needed it
Old 10-25-2004, 01:12 PM

I have a gerber gator with gut hook. Great knife for the money. Holds an edge good too.
Old 10-25-2004, 03:55 PM

I know they are probably about 2x more pricey than a gerber or buck comparable knife, but you won't find much better than a Benchmade if you field dress often. Sharpest knives I ever got from the factory, with excellent steel. My new one is sintered (not extruded) steel called s30v--awesome. For a reasonably priced model, look at the Griptilian, has a 440C blade. If you want to go a little more, look a model with 154CM steel. I used a Gerber pocketknife the other day, and it felt like a crappy toy knife after being used to my Benchmade Switchback. I also think Columbia River Knife and Tool makes some decent, more affordable blades for another option, but Benchmade (the ones in the blue boxes, anyway) is American made. Once it is dull (which takes a while), you can send it back for a factory edge for $5 (if you aren't a good sharpener).

As long as the steel is good, fixed blades can be sharpened and offer close to the same performance, no matter what the brand (as long as it is one-piece blade/handle) but sometimes you want grip comfort, so it is all in how much you want to spend.
Old 10-25-2004, 08:50 PM
dpv
Typical Buck

I carry two knives in the field. I have a Spyderco Delica that I carry at all times, and in the field I also carry a hunting knife. The first deer I killed it was a Buck NiteForce fixed blade. Second and third deer it was a cheep "Sharp" brand lockblade that my brother bought me years ago." it's cheap but holds one hell of an edge. I've also used it on countless squirrell. This year as a gift my brother sent me a very nice and probably expensive custom made fixed blade knife he wants me to carry it hunting. But this year I picked up a buckbuster at WalMart. It's a weird looking two prong hunting knive. Comes with a video and from what I've seen on the video it makes cleaning a deer much easier. I'm hoping to get a chance to use it.

David