Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Need to build some tree-stands... >

Need to build some tree-stands...

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Need to build some tree-stands...

Old 09-30-2004, 05:49 PM

Default Need to build some tree-stands...

Well, after discovering about 5 tree stands and seeing that they have pretty much rotted, I need to build some fast. I was wondering i anyone has any measurements I could go by. I should have taken some pics of the old ones to show you wich 'model' they were. But they were very 'home-made' and looked like something you could hunt out of.

I tried searching for deer stand plans with no success, they all want some cash for plans...

Any input is appreciated!
Old 10-01-2004, 01:38 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Need to build some tree-stands...

I used to build a lot of stands. Before you go any further you know you can buy some cheap ones for not much more and they are probably better. Another option is to just buy a Summit climber and you have one good stand that will do the job of all those home made ones

Now, presuming you are still dead set on it...

The best homemade I ever came up with is made from those aluminum light arms. The ones holding home security lights on the pole. You can get them from REMC, they replace the pole and all when the lights burn out. The best way is to use three of them for each stand.

One goes straight up and the curve is where you place a little plywood for a seat. The other two go on each side of the bottom of the "post". Drill a hole through all three. The bottom of the post and in the curve of the two that will be platform supports. If you are sitting on it looking at your feet the two would form a "V" at your feet, put 2 foot square plywood on these for a platform. The short end of the curve will form a "v" to notch on the tree.

Chain or cable will fill the missing parts and are obvious how to use if you've ever seen any commercial type of loc on tree stand. I'll look for some pictures if you need more info.
Old 10-02-2004, 09:58 PM

Here is a pic/design of a ladder stand I saved from another post some time back. Maybe it will help.

Old 10-03-2004, 09:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

ir, can you weld? Do you have acces to a conduit or tubing bender?

the main stands I build are ladder type. Made from either 1 or 1-1/4 inch electrical metallic conduit (EMT) or 1-1/4 inch top fence rail (for chain link fencing) and 3/4 inch conduit. The top rail has the bonus of being slip fit at one end, so you can make three or four step extension pieces.

I simply put a 16-inch 90-degree bend at one end of each tubing piece. These are the "risers". For the steps I cut 3/4 or 1-inch conduit (whatever is in shop at time) to roughly 20-inches and squeze the ends in a vise flat about 1-1/4-inches from each end.

If you are following me you can start to see it coming together. I personally put the risers on my milling machine and mill slots on the inside of each riser for the steps to fit in. Then on the flat welding table I rough assemble the steps into the risers and hold all together (being careful to hold all square) with ratchet straps. Then I spot weld it all together, unstrap it and take a look at it before finish welding. If you can't mill the slots you can weld the steps to the risers directly. Finish welding should include your i.d or initials welded on. On the back of the bottom step is best, before you weld it on incase you slip up and burn a hole in it, the 20-inch piece of conduit (step) is better wasted that a whole riser. Welding galvanized conduit can be a little touchy.

For my platforms I put a nice (quality & thickness) piece of plywood on top of the bends with four regular cap screws securing the platform. The platform is as wide as you need and 24 inches max depth with a "V" cut in the back. I drill a few holes along each edge to drop a few slugs in (12 & 20 gauge size, 12 for me and 20 for my oldest son) for possible follow up shots if needed (we slug hunt with a single shot H&R's).

Then I allow my creative artistic genius to emerge (LOL) and the paint job goes on. I have done flat black and those look fine and I have done various camo patterns, too.

Secure to a tree with a ratchet strap (not the cinch-type but an actual ratchet strap). The ratchet straps hold these things TIGHT!

They are very light-weight, strong, economical, stack together well for hauling in truck and can be used like a sled for dragging deer. I have more of these types of stands than I can remember. Seriously, I know that there are a few of my stands out there I can't remember where they were placed, a few stolen. Some recovered-most not.

No more than $20 each.

Uncle Matt (in IL)
Old 10-04-2004, 08:25 AM

Wow, thanks for the input guys!
Old 10-04-2004, 12:06 PM

go here
len eder
Old 10-04-2004, 01:54 PM

I've built a lot of tree stands - ranging from simple ones you can barely stand on, to full grown "tree houses" with roofs and benches.

Basic: Use three trees. Nail three strong 2X boards to form triangle. Don't skimp on nails!. Lay strong boards across the triangle like a deck. Nail another three strong boards in a triangle about 4 feet higher (determine for yourself) as a safety railing and/ or gun rest. Nail short boards up on of the trees to climb up on. Fashion bench, or benches as needed. Do same on top w/ triangular supports and plywood for a roof.

Go from there, as elaborate and well planned as suits you.

ON THE OTHER HAND!! Now that I have a little more money and a little less time, I'd do it all with ladder stands or climbers. They aren't all that expensive (if you are somewhat short on time in the off season). They can be very efficient and comfortable to hunt out of. You can get blind material and roofs for them as well. Ladder stands can be secured to the tree w/ chains (or cables) and locks to make them fairly theft proof if you leave them out semi-permanently. Climbers can be taken home. Ladder stands aren't a huge deal to break down, move and re-assemble. Not a "morning of the hunt" thing, but a reasonable chore in the off season - compared to building a comfortable tree stand!

Good luck
Old 10-05-2004, 12:41 AM
Typical Buck

Sorry I don't have a better pic.

Old 10-05-2004, 12:42 AM
Typical Buck

These tie on steps are really easy to put on and use.

Old 10-05-2004, 12:44 AM
Typical Buck

Here's the whole deal set up in the tree. Really unobtrusive I think.

I'm standing at the bottom of the tree.

Quick Reply: Need to build some tree-stands...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.