Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

scent killer peroxide

Old 10-14-2004, 02:59 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: scent killer peroxide

WOW! Quite a variance in recipies here...one calls for 2 quarts of peroxided to 2 quarts of water, and another calls for 16oz of peroxide to one gallon of water! That's a big difference! Which one is legit!
Old 10-14-2004, 05:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah,

I'm not quite sure if that's what I typed, but the recipe I use follows like this:

2quarts of Earth scent infused distilled water (I brew my own)
2quarts of H2O2
1/2 cup of baking soda if you can let it sit for at least 2 weeks, add a full cup if you need it right away.

Yes, the stuff works. Nub posted it on here about 3-4 years ago. I would say probably at least 100 members have home-brewed cocktails marinating right now.

How it works:

Basically, the baking soda acts very similar to carbon, in that it neutralizes chemical compounds (for anyone with some chemistry, it equals a buffer). The peroxide acts as a radical-scavenger, which goes around and scarfs up nasty little reactive compounds AND neutralizes some bacteria and their metabolites. The water acts as nothing more than a dilutent for the soda and peroxide.

You can also take the water and soak pine boughs, cedar chips, earth, acorns, apples---you name it, you can add it. Simply boil for a few minutes in the microwave to kill (most) bugs, let it cool and then add to the mix.

Stop paying for the stuff, when it's so cheap to make

EDIT: Yes, there is a great variance in H2O2. Those that wear carbon suits (Scent'Lok) can get away with less, as there should be fewer radicals that escape to the surface. Basically, the cleaner you are, the less you can use. But, if you mix it half/half, you have a good amount of H2O2 which will work even on a good sweaty day...
Old 10-30-2004, 06:38 AM

Thanks a ton for the recipies!!! I won't be buying any more from the sporting good stores any longer!!! I have alot of the clothes washing scent free already so I have all I need right here and don't even have to go to town. Have a good one and thanks again!!!!
Old 10-30-2004, 12:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

You fella's say let it sit for 2hrs to 2 weeks. what is the point of letting it sit, wont it be good the next day or a few hours after you make it?