Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

scent killer peroxide

Old 10-08-2004, 03:13 PM
Fork Horn

Default scent killer peroxide

I asked this question on another thread several days ago, with no responses, so here goes again. Does it matter which type of peroxide you use in the scent killer recipe, the brown bottle 3%, or does it have to be industrial strength type that has to be diluted? Anybody with any experience know if it makes a difference? Thanks
Old 10-08-2004, 03:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: scent killer peroxide

I don't remember the exact recipe, but I used regular peroxide and it seems to work fine!
Old 10-08-2004, 03:48 PM

Do NOT use "industrial strength" peroxide. It will cause caustic burns to your skin, and destroy your clothing. The regular store bought stuff will work just fine.
Old 10-09-2004, 01:10 AM

I've come across several of the homemade scent killer recipes. I used the store bought 3% and it seems to work great. The other day, I spooked a doe in a field I never knew was there until I started to lower my bow and heard her jump. She was only 10 yards away. After a brief staredown, she started going about her business when I was about to stand and another doe walked out. She knew exactly where I was and something wasn't right. After another brief staredown and several minutes of stomping with her nose in the air the whole time she just jumped and walked back into the woods. I believe she never caught my scent but knew something wasn't right in the tree. I've heard some bad things about the 30% peroxide that has to be dilluted. There was a link posted that detailed how dangerous it was. I would go with the store bought, everyone else seems to use it with no problems are all.
Old 10-09-2004, 10:23 AM
Fork Horn

I use the 3% walmart brand works great.
Old 10-09-2004, 11:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

ummm i dunno i heard of both, they say dillute the industrial even more, someone had a web site posted that gave you the specifi recipe, some guy with his new website, i cant remember his name. but the brown bottle smells to high heaven i wouldnt use that, i just use baking soda and water and it seems to work fine.
Old 10-09-2004, 03:50 PM

i'm glad you posted it again because i didn't see it the first time. i never knew there was a recipe for scent killer. it would be great if someone could post that recipe on this site. it would save me a ton of cash!!!
Old 10-09-2004, 05:33 PM
Fork Horn

here you go thecontractor

HuntingBBS.Com - The Ultimate Hunting Message Board!

The HuntingNet.Com Community of Web Sites
HUNTINGNET DEER TURKEY ELK BOW HUNTING WATERFOWL UPLAND DOGS HUNTING GEAR OUTFITTERS FREE MEMBERSHIP

Forums | HELP | RULES | Register | Login | My Profile
Gallery | Member List | Search | Lost Password | Log Out
Chat | Classifieds | Hunt Swap | Contact Admin
ACTIVE TOPICS | InBox

Home Made Scent Eliminator Spray
Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none

Tree Style Printable Version
All Forums >> [Bow Hunting Forum] >> Bowhunting.Com >> Home Made Scent Eliminator Spray Page: [1] 2 3 4 next > >>
Login Message << Older Topic Newer Topic >>

RIStrutStopper
Rack Buck

Home Made Scent Eliminator Spray

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know I saw a thread last year about home made formulas for scent elimination, but I can't seem to find it now. I remember baking soda, peroxide, and that green scent free soap being ingredients, but I don't remember the amounts. Does anybody have a good home brew recipe?

9/14/2004 9:18:12 PM ID: 759560

Ngtshade
Rack Buck

RE: Home Made Scent Eliminator Spray (in reply to RIStrutStopper)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

here's two that i got off these boards i use Strut & Ruts and love it ...works like a lucky charm :P

Strut & Rut provided this " recipe"

2 quarts 3% H202 (Hydrogen Peroxide, brown bottles, $.98 quart at Walmart)
2 quarts distilled water ($.50 gallon at Walmart)
2 boxes of baking soda ($.50 per box at Walmart)

Grand Total- $3.46 for 1 gallon of scent eliminator, compared to $30 in cabelas... Can you say advertising and lucrative profit?

Mix all in a bucket and stir until soda well dissolved. Let sit for at least two hours, mine sat 2 days. Keep mixing as baking soda falls out of solution and drops to the bottom of the bucket. Only so much will stay dilluted, don' t worry to much about the fall out after it' s sat awhile.

Fill containers (I used the H202 quart bottles and the rest in the gallon jug). Cap. Let sit for 1 week. Use liberally, cause the stuffs so cheap

Here's a homemade scent killer recipe I pulled off the internet at the beginning our last season. I've used it religiously and I haven't heard a snort all year. I was directly downwind at ground level on several occasions and was never winded. I also took my archery deer and can credit this stuff. I had leather boots on and had walked all over the area looking for a tree (first time I hunted that particular tree). I missed this deer on the first shot and it proceeded to circle downwind of me, nose high in the air. He never caught wind and I ended up getting a second shot that took him.

1 gallon distilled water (or clean creek water, just no chlorines or iodines in it)
1/2 box of baking soda
16 oz peroxide
2 shot glasses of Hunters Specialty green liquid soap

Pour out enough water from a gallon jug to get the other stuff in and let it fizz for a while after mixing (about 1 hour or the top will pop off). Then just transfer to a spray bottle and you're set.

128 oz cost about $4.50 vs $8-$10 for 16-32oz of some other fancy kind.

Other guys have tried it as well and say they've had success. I won't hunt without it again.

When you aim at nothing .......... Thats what you will drag out to your truck!

9/14/2004 9:31:01 PM ID: 759574

skeetr1
Fawn

RE: Home Made Scent Eliminator Spray (in reply to Ngtshade)

I also made a post asking the same question.
basically the same recipe
16 oz peroxide
16 oz distilled water
1/2 cup baking soda
1 once scent free soap

have a batch brewing now.

9/14/2004 9:36:44 PM ID: 759584

skeetr1
Fawn

RE: Home Made Scent Eliminator Spray (in reply to skeetr1)

I bought a huge bag of baking soda from sams club for 5 bucks.
Also a good idea I got from this site is to fill a sock with baking soda and use it on your clothes and body or store with your gear. works great. Good lucl hunting.

9/14/2004 9:39:34 PM ID: 759593

deerhunter1224
Rack Buck

Does this home made scent elimnator really work?

i rather have a bad day in the woods then a good day at work

9/14/2004 11:24:17 PM ID: 759750

RIStrutStopper
Rack Buck

RE: Home Made Scent Eliminator Spray (in reply to skeetr1)

skeetr1- I use one of those boxes of baking soda meant for the fridge, you peel the sides off the box and it absorbs odors. I keep one in each of my bags of gear/clothing. Thanks for the replies guys, im gonna go whip up somethin this weekend

9/14/2004 11:39:48 PM ID: 759767

tmccarty11
Spike

does this homemade scent cover work???

9/14/2004 11:40:22 PM ID: 759769

mrfritz44
Non Typical

quote:

does this homemade scent cover work???

The short answer is "YES!"

9/15/2004 6:35:13 AM ID: 759903

Katbones
Rack Buck

Thank you Ristrutstopper, i am on a budget and every lil bit helps.

If You And A Friend Are Being Chased By A Bull And A Bear; Always Shoot The Bull Later.

9/15/2004 6:35:45 AM ID: 759904

zukidude
Spike

I am on a tight buget as well! thanks alot fellas

Bow=Buckmaster split limb 60# Whisker biscuit QS limb savers and leaches, Red head carbons
Shotgun= rem 870 express magnum, camo, 3", fiber optic sights
rifle= still lookin, thinkin savage

9/15/2004 5:15:51 PM ID: 760845

Page: [1] 2 3 4 next > >>

HuntingNet.Com Sponsors
The Peak Antler Company
Peak antler company has been doing work for over 7...
More Info
Tree Lounge
The Tree-Lounge offers you options like no other s...
More Info
Wildlife Point-Blank
And now, to help hunters everywhere capture the es...
More Info
Possibly the Best Muzzleloader Bullets Made
We strive to offer the absolute best bullet for yo...
More Info

All Forums >> [Bow Hunting Forum] >> Bowhunting.Com >> Home Made Scent Eliminator Spray Page: [1] 2 3 4 next > >>
Jump to: Select a ForumAll Forums---------------------- [Bow Hunting Forum] - - Bowhunting.Com - - - - Deer Hunting Contest 2004 - - Technical - - TraditionalBowHunting.Com - - Bowhunting Gear Review - - Bowfishing [General Hunting] - - DeerHunting.Com - - - - Deer Hunting Contest 2004 - - Hunting Gear Reviews - - TurkeyHunting.Com - - WaterfowlHunting.Com - - BigGameHunting.Com - - Disabled Hunters - - UplandBirds.Com - - SportingDogs.Com - - YoungHunters.Com - - Wildlife Management - - Small Game, Predator and Trapping - - HuntingGames.Com - - Taxidermy [Firearms Forum] - - Guns - - Firearm Review Forum - - Reloading - - Black Powder [Regional Forums] - - Northeast - - Midwest - - West - - South - - Other Areas [IBO Forum] - - Official IBO.Net Forum - 3-D Shooting [Fishing Forum] - - Fresh Water - - Salt Water - - Fly Fishing [Non Hunting] - - HuntingPolitics.Com - - Off Season - - Camp Cooking - - Hunting and Religion [Technical/Forum Help] - - Test Posts - - Enhancement Request / Wish List - - Technical Help - - FAQ

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages

Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
Post New Thread
Reply to Message
Post New Poll
Submit Vote
Delete My Own Post
Delete My Own Thread
Rate Posts

11964 Oak Creek Parkway
Building B, Unit G