Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

STUPID question

Old 10-04-2004, 10:21 AM

Default STUPID question

Ok, now this may get some laughs...but I need to ask...

Ive never owned a climer stand. Ive hunted out of wooden permanant stands and ladder stands.

I have this fear...if i got up in tree, all safe and snug....then the darn climber wont let go and go down....here I am stranded in a freaking tree....

Honestly, this is main reason I dont have one...am I nuts?
Old 10-04-2004, 10:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: STUPID question

But it's only 1 step to the ground.

yeah your a little nutzo
Old 10-04-2004, 11:02 AM

I have an API climber that I really like. I weigh 290+ and have never had the problem you describe. Summit climbers have a cable that don't "stick" into the tree. I wouldn't worry about your question at all. Climbers give you some versatility and are very comfortable once you get set up.
Old 10-04-2004, 01:19 PM

I hunted a climber for the first time last year and really enjoyed it. Even though it was pretty basic and spartan stand, it was easy to use and comfortable enough (Ol' Man stand).

Really, the operation of this stand - and I believe all other quality climbers - is fool proof:

The teeth dig into the bark if there is weight on them. They can't help it. It might slide a couple of inches, but that's it.

But I do feel a safety harness is essential.

Going down, also pretty much fool proof. The coordination/skill to use it is very simple. It's easy to work the very first time, and it becomes very quick and efficient after just a couple of times.

I recommend buying one and then practicing a couple of times. There's many been recommended on this board, but go to a store and physically look at them. Then, after you buy one, just practice a couple of times. This will give you an idea what sort of tree to look for and wll make you a pro at using it (with the safety harness!).

The ol'man climber I used was excellent in terms of weight, convenience and comfort. The only thing I'd change is to have some sort of foam seat (this one is mesh) which would be warmer and more comfortable, especially if breezy.
Old 10-04-2004, 08:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

coming down has never been a problem for me some times it just hurts more than others
the main thing is take your time and be careful