Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How's it Hanging??

Old 09-22-2004, 09:19 PM

Default How's it Hanging??

On same vain as my last post about sprucing up our camp we need a new place to hang our deer. The shed we usually hang them in is being converted into a better living space than the camper. The camper is good for sleeping, but not enough room for much else.

Anyhow, there is only one tree that is even marginally suitable has a hanging tree convenient to the camper. I was wondering if y'all had any suggestions for how to set up a real honest to god meat pole.

Thanks;
Old 09-22-2004, 09:35 PM

Default RE: How's it Hanging??

I USE LIKE A SWING SET DESIGN , MINUS THE SWINGS WITH A HOIST, IF THAT IS ANY HELPFOR YOU
Old 09-22-2004, 09:49 PM

This works great can hang up four deer easy, have to take the swing down if more than two, used 12 ft 4x4 treated. I have two hand crank winches cause I usually hunt by myself. two 2x6 12 ft on top bolted together.

Old 09-22-2004, 11:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

Old telephone poles make a good meat pole. Our elk camp we have 2 sunk in the ground with a steel round bar across the top, we use a snatch(block/tackle) and the winches from our quads(a 5/16 cable with 2 hooks will work on the hitch or frame of your truck/vehicle as well). We have made spreader bars out of iron but they can be bought as well. Works darn slick and use the end gate of the truck to skin up high. When done simply tie the animal off and you have your transportation back!
Old 09-23-2004, 02:39 AM
Boone & Crockett

I know a guy that uses a childs swing set
Old 09-23-2004, 06:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

A heavy steel cable can work if you have a means to run it between trees or other poles.

Seems easiest to build a quick "swing set" design, rather that sinking poles. That way you can move it. Just be sure to make the span between the legs wide enough so you can get your truck in there. Then you don't have to put the deer on the ground before loading.
Old 09-23-2004, 09:03 AM

Old 09-25-2004, 04:59 PM

Just don`t forget to tell the kids before you send them out to play.
Old 09-27-2004, 06:38 PM

Thanks for the advice everybody. Portable is a good thing since the property is currently for sale and we may have to take all this stuff off soon.