Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Tom hanging up......

Old 04-10-2005, 10:37 PM
Fork Horn

Default Tom hanging up......

Ok guys i need some help! What would you do if you were me? Ok I went out this morning and got into about 9 hens a big tom and 3 jakes. Well the hens went to another field but the Tom and the jakes were staying around to see what was calling to them. They were kinda down below this terrace and they couldn't see my decoys. Well everytime I used the mouth call he would GOBBLE immediately, he was at full strut for about 15-20 mins but he wouldn't come in any closer than 50 or 60 yards. What would you do? Do I need to keep calling if he keeps responding or what do I do? And when he stops responding what do I do?
Old 04-10-2005, 10:51 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Tom hanging up......

I would try the silent treatment if they were hanging around to find what was calling to them. Remember, a tom gobbles to let the hen know where he's at and usually waits for her to come to him. Stay silent until he gobbles looking for the hen, then call softly and throw in some purrs and clucks to send him a message of being content where you (the hen) is at. The silent treatment in this case would be tricky though, because he may decide to go with the hens that just left instead of trying to find you (the hen). If he started to move off, I'd call again to get him back interrested, but would try using my hand, turn my head, or lip position to throw the sound away from him to make him think the new girl was going the other way. When he stops responding, he could be on his way, or he may have went with the other hens, or he may just be staying put. I'm assuming you could not see him. I'd set for another 45 min to an hour to make sure he wasn't coming in. Then I'd either try to cut him off if I knew where he was going and how the terrain would allow me to get in front of him and if I was sure there was no one else hunting the area. If none of that is possible, I'd either leave and try to get on another bird or get something to eat and come back later in the day to the same area and call to him again to see if he's alone and looking.
Old 04-10-2005, 10:55 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks gobbling buck, I could see him. But he just wouldn't come in close enough for the shot. He was just struting back and forth and in circles.
Old 04-11-2005, 09:18 AM
Fork Horn

Does anyone else have anything that they would do different than what he said.
Old 04-11-2005, 02:35 PM

I'd leave the decoys at home. I've had the same scenerio you decribed with mature gobblers more time than not with decoys. They see them, put on the brakes and strut, gobbling to get that hen to come to them. Meanwhile the real hens generally show up due to all the gobbling and lead him away.

I also agree with the silent treatment approach earlier.
Old 04-11-2005, 04:46 PM

This past Saturday I worked three different birds. The first one was right after first light. He gobbled good to my calling , but would not show himself. I was in the open woods and he was in the brush. He came in and started clucking. So, I clucked back, but he still would not show himself. After about an hour and fifteen minutes he finally went around the ridge to the right. A second bird came to the same spot immediately after he left. I called to him sparingly just as I did the other tom, but after about 45 minutes he left and went to the right.

I struck another tom in a nearby field and worked him for and hour and forty-five minutes. I knew he had hens with him. Again, I worked him softly and sparingly, but he too left the area. I finally said the heck with it and started cutting loud and hard. He gobbled and a hen between us started cutting. I figured he was content so, I got up and walked to another field blew a crow call and got no response. Went across the field to the next fence, and a crow flew across where I was set-up at on the third bird, and guess what????? You got it gobble, gobble, gobble!!! I walked back to the fence where I was standing just four minutes earlier and spooked the bird!!! Hard to compete with the real ladies.

The moral of the story is, don't believe everything you hear about being soft and subtle when calling. Each situation is different. After working the bird for that long and then giving up on him and spooking him I am going to be a little more aggressive next time. It worked for me last year too.
Old 04-11-2005, 05:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

there are a couple things that you could try that have worked for me in the past.
1. Try the fighting purrs if you have 2 calls. A lot of times if a bird is hung up and the simple yelps, clucks and cackles are not enough, the imitation of 2 hens purring at eachother will bring him closer.

2. You can try the hen moving away approach. (this can be risky) start by calling away from the tom to imitate a bird walking away from him. I usually continue to call fairly aggressively when I do this.

3. if the terrain permits BELLY CRAWL him!! that's the most fun too.

good luck. Once again these are just things that have worked in the past for me.
Old 04-12-2005, 12:08 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks everyone for your input I will take some of these into consideration. Thanks alot. If anyone else has anything to say them feel free to post.....
Old 04-12-2005, 12:17 PM

ORIGINAL: Buckmasterflex

he was at full strut for about 15-20 mins but he wouldn't come in any closer than 50 or 60 yards. What would you do?

I would take my bow and tag him at 50 or 60 yards
Old 04-12-2005, 12:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

buck...I had this happen twice last year...I assume it was the same bird...1st time we talked back and forth for 1 1/2 hours...until he walked off...I did not follow to try and cut off....these birds live in the woods all year....I don't...LOL

The second time I waited 3-4 days and went back...I set up two hens about 25 yards in front of me...waited until about 15 minutes before sunup...clucked 4 times on my box call....he answered...I shut up (which is hard for me to do)....1 1/2 hours later he came in...gobbled 4 times on his way in....I dropped him at 15 yards...

I think turkeys are like deer and fish....sometimes agressive, sometimes not...he may come running in the next day...or...he might not be a very agressive bird in that case less calling might be better..Its kinda like bass fishing...one morning they are tearing up top water baits...the next, you might have to drop a plastic worm on their head to bite..thats what is so great about hunting....nothing always works...Good luck...nchawkeye