Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

has anyone ever tried oats?

Old 09-03-2004, 01:45 PM

Default has anyone ever tried oats?

i recently bought one of the moultrie feeders e-z feeder.i dont know if any of you has seen it but its the one you hang in the tree and it has the stick deal that come out the bottom and they nudge it to dispense feed.anyways i filled it with sweet horse feed(corn,oats,molasses,etc.)and took a rake and scratched up about a 4 foot circle around the tree to see what was visiting.about a week later i went up and the area i scratched up was standing in oats ranging from 4-6 inches tall.i didnt figure this would grow in the middle of the woods.has anyone ever tried putting some out on the side of a trail in the woods?also what would help deer figure out the feeder better?i thought maybe put some pb on the handle and they would lick it and dispense feed and figure it out.
Old 09-03-2004, 02:26 PM

Default RE: has anyone ever tried oats?

I've planted oats quit a bit as an attractant. Whitetails love them, and often eat them right down to the ground. To bad they ofetn visit the oat patches at night, though!
Old 09-04-2004, 09:32 AM

what do they visit early mornings and of the evenings?
Old 09-05-2004, 10:06 AM

I use stricltly oats when i bait my stands. I have built little chop bunks out of a few scraps of 2x8 lumber. I find that if the bait is dumped directly on the ground they tend to waste alot. No complaints at all about the job the oats does, the deer seem to flock to it like a fat kid to chocolate cake. Even a broke oats round bale in the field will really bring in the deer. Last year we cut 100 acres of oats for green cattle feed and had one bale burst in our farmyard. We had deer comin in at 2 in the afternoon to have a taste of that bale.
Old 09-05-2004, 11:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

I tried the same thing, sweet feed for horses as a bait in front of my game cam. The deer love it and nice green patches of oats growing in the woods now too! I too was surprised that the oats grew in the woods. My question is do the oats keep growing year after year? I noticed that the deer will eat off the pile, but whatever touches the dirt they will not touch.
Old 09-06-2004, 10:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Guys I work with who food plot religiously plant oats and wheat food plots. They say it works great and that animals love em.

I just bought a blend of clover, wheat/oats, and some other type stuff to plant. I'll let you know how it works, but as far as I'm concerned, from what I hear from others, you can't go wrong with an oats/wheat food plot.