Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

GPS Deer Hunting Tips/Usage?

Old 09-03-2004, 10:50 AM

Default GPS Deer Hunting Tips/Usage?

Anyone else utilizing a GPS device this year? If so, how do you utilize it to be successful?

I plan on marking my "home base" as well as my "stand location".
Old 09-03-2004, 11:01 AM

Default RE: GPS Deer Hunting Tips/Usage?

I have used mine quite a bit as this is new property for us. First I marked the property corners, then tracted all the major 4 wheeler trails, now we are marking stand locations and special features. It really comes in handy on a large piece of property. Oh, and don't forget to mark your camp area, in case you get confused. After we get all the stands marked we are using xpertGPS to make a map for a sign in area with exact stand locations for safety reasons.
Old 09-03-2004, 12:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

I used to hunt large tracts of forest. Snow was common in rifle season, so tracking was a great method. Of course, you never know where a buck will take you, so GPS was a good way to mark a downed animal, if you had a shorter way to drag to a road, but didn't have your own tracks to follow. I never had to rely on it solely, but it adds piece of mind.
Old 09-04-2004, 08:10 AM
Typical Buck

Like GroundHunter I use my GPS to track the property lines of my lease. See maps on my web site http://www.racksnspurs.com/

It will save you a few steps when dragging a deer out. The shortest way is never the way you came in. With ExpertGPS software, you can also overlay your tracks & property lines on arial maps as well as topo maps.

When scouting if I find a good looking spot, I mark it with my GPS and it's easy to find again. I can also find the best way to the stand site.
Old 09-04-2004, 10:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

been using gps units for years, use it during scouting prior to the season to mark rubs, scrapes, deer trails, etc. first place you need to save it where you started, once you have that you can turn the unit off and head on out, turn it back on where you find something you want to save or leave it on for a backtrack or to save a complete route to your map. the more you use it, the more you will find out what can be done with it. i have several units, some contains topo maps, some do not. i also have a map program called maptech and can download my waypoints or complete routes to the program, save them and upload them again back to the unit. maptech also allows me to print out my own topo maps which i use in conjunction with the unit to locate my exact position on the map. wish you the best of luck with them.
Old 09-09-2004, 08:39 AM

Most GPS units come with software so you can save your track logs, weigh points etc.

Each year I mark every trail, rub, scrape, deer sightings, etc. that I find and save these weigh points with a "type" indicator (R=rub, S=scrpe, etc), a consecutive number, and a "Year" indicator in the weighpoint name. Example: R23-04. When I upload these to the computer I save them in separate files by Type & Year.

The payback?

1) When you open multiple years of rubs, scrapes, etc. and view them all at the same time, you will start to see patterns that may not have been apparent when just looking at the current years activity.

2) By looking at each years activity "consecutively", one year after the other, you can sometimes pick up on changing patterns.

To some extent, you could accomplish the same by maintaining a good log book, however, even a good, well maintained log book can not hold a candle to being able to SEE these "activity relationships" displayed on a map.

NOTE: If you're going to invest in a GPS unit, make absolutely sure you get one that can display topo maps. I've got a Garmin GPS III+ with MapSource Topos. Being able to display all the rub, scrape, trail, etc. on a topo map is worth it's weight in gold.

firstshot
Old 09-09-2004, 12:02 PM
Fork Horn

Wow! I just purchased a GPS primarily for fishing and when I go elk hunting this fall so as to not get lost. Sounds like it will do much more. Mine came with softwaref for topos of the entire US and well as cities software. Do you download the topo info prior to entering waypoints, etc? Haven't really had a chance to play with it yet but the season is almost here.
Old 09-09-2004, 03:11 PM

ORIGINAL: wideone

Wow! I just purchased a GPS primarily for fishing and when I go elk hunting this fall so as to not get lost. Sounds like it will do much more. Mine came with softwaref for topos of the entire US and well as cities software. Do you download the topo info prior to entering waypoints, etc? Haven't really had a chance to play with it yet but the season is almost here.
wideone

What make/model GPS do you have? Yes, download topo for the area you are going to be hunting to your GPS. Any waypoints you enter will be layered on top of your background topo map. You could (and should) download the topo's for the area you are going to be elk hunting. The software you got with your GPS should also allow you to make printed topo maps of the area you are going to hunt. It's a good idea to have both your GPS and printed topo maps with you, as anything mechanical can break. GPS is great, but always have a back up system.....compass & Maps.

You MUST also check out the TerraServer website. You can get USGS Topo maps & aerial photos of virtually anywhere in the US. You can just click on the map to drill down to the area you want or you can use the "Advanced Find" search feature. Click on the "View" drop down tab & change view to "Aerial Photo". When you've zeroed in on the area you want, use the "download" feature to save to your computer

Here is an ariel photo of our hunting lease. It's 2,200 acres near Witter, Arkansas

And a zoom in to our camp house:

Topo of New Stand Location:
I've got high hopes for this stand site. My stand is actually on the edge of one bench, overlooking a larger bench below. I can cover both benches from my position. The lower bench is a main travel route around the head of the hollow.

Anyway, have fun with your new GPS. Got any questions, just give me a shout.

firstshot
Old 09-09-2004, 03:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use mine to mark my parking spot because I get lost easily but thats about all I do with mine.
Old 09-09-2004, 10:56 PM

ORIGINAL: RustyOlRanger4x4

I use mine to mark my parking spot because I get lost easily but thats about all I do with mine.

roflmaopmp

firstshot