Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Cleaning a Scope

Old 08-26-2004, 08:08 PM

Default Cleaning a Scope

I couldnt find any were else to find it so i will post it in here. I have a bushnell banner scope on my .22 rifle. The scope has water or is fogged up or something on the inside, and when you look through it it is all blurry. Is there anyway to clean this or is the scope junk? Thanks in advance
Old 08-26-2004, 08:24 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Cleaning a Scope

Contact Bushnell and see if there is a warranty on the scope. I don't think there is any way a layman could clean the inside of a scope.
Old 08-26-2004, 10:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

timber nailed it you must either send it back for repair/warranty or new scope shopping time!
Old 08-27-2004, 08:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

I believe this fogging used to be a common problem of scopes in earlier days. It is a mechanical problem to be solved -- perhaps involving sealing a neutral gas, such as nitrogen, inside the scope under positive pressure relative to the outside atmosphere and sealing "permanently" -- which most manufacturers HAVE solved, but perhaps only for the more expensive scopes.

If your manufacturer cannot repair this at a satisfactory price or under warranty, your best bet is just to buy a better scope next time. Then again, maybe your scope is a high quality scope and it is just an exceptional case of failure?
Old 08-28-2004, 07:51 PM
Fork Horn

I have a bushnell banner scope and it supposed to have a lifetime warrenty on it.
Old 08-28-2004, 08:41 PM
Inactive

bg - I have sent 2 scopes back to bushnell, at least one i expected to pay the full cost of repairs . To my amazement they repaired both scopes and sent them back to me - no charge. Except for the shipping and handling!! ($10.oo).

One was a banner and the other an elite, both came back in near new condition!!

All i can say is find their address , write them a "nice" letter and send it to them!! I think you will be pleasantly surprised!!

Warning - don't try and clean it yourself - the results could be disastrous!!

Good luck, and good hunting!!!
Old 08-29-2004, 03:48 AM

there are some good ways tp prevent the fogging problems.i use a cleaner called anti-fog and one called parker's. both work pretty well. i take a clean lens cloth. i do not use the pens cause they pick up too much grit. at home i use a air duster just like on the pc keyboard.just like x said i have contacted the mfg and they have always stood by the products. i have used leupold, swarovski, and leica. leica sent me a new pair of binocs.