Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Cleaning with a Scope >

Cleaning with a Scope

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Cleaning with a Scope

Old 12-14-2004, 09:42 PM

Default Cleaning with a Scope

I plan on putting a scope on my inline CVA. Once I get it sighted in, how much to I have to worry about it when I'm cleaning my barrel. Obviously, don't bump it too hard, but would the carbon cleaners and such affect the lense of the scope in anyway?
Old 12-14-2004, 10:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Cleaning with a Scope

The only cleaner that goes on the scope lens is lens cleaner. Most I see are sprays that clean the glass of binoculars, scopes and range finders.

You can get a scope-bottom cover that's sold by T/C. I only clean the black parts of scopes with a three-in-one oil like Breakfree CLP or Ballistol using a cleaning/swabbing patch. Plus, I always make sure my scopes have lense covers to help keep the glass protected.
Old 12-15-2004, 11:26 AM
Typical Buck

Yep, only cleaner that is designed for optics such as scopes and cameras should be used.
If you use say Windex or anything else, you will ruin your scope as the chemicals will eat away at the anti glare and reflective coatings.

I rarely need a cleaner other than a little bit of water on a lens cloth.

As far as knocking your scope out of alignment while cleaning...
If this becomes an issue (which you will only know when your verify your zero placement buy shooting the gun), go with a quality "quick release" mount/rings from say Leupold, Burris and so on.
I have the Leupold QRW on three weapons and they really do allow you to remove the scopes for cleaning or transportation and put you within an inch or less of zero.

Best,
Old 12-15-2004, 12:00 PM

Maybe I wasn't clear enough, sorry. What I meant is do I have to worry about the solvent cleaners I use on the barrel to affect the scope?
Old 12-15-2004, 12:17 PM
Typical Buck

Now I understand - sorry.
I would try to keep everything off of the scope other than cleaners designed for optics or plain water and a soft cloth.

Before you start your cleaning, wrap the scope in a towel end to end so that the lenses are protected and use some safety pins to hold the towel in place.
This should help protect the scope from the cleaners and lube.

As far as the scope finish, I don't think the biodegradable cleaner should bother it too much.

Until I started using the quick release mounts to remove the scope for cleaning, I always wrapped the scopes in a towel and pinned the towel in place before cleaning.
Old 12-15-2004, 12:55 PM
Dominant Buck

I use different cleaners all the time to take the fowling off the scope. I use something called Simple Green. I mix it 50/50 with water and it will cut black powder fowling like the devil. I even use it in the bore of the rifle to get the major fowling out, then run some of the cleaners that remove plastic, copper and lead, just to make sure.

Another trick to protect your scope if you can not remove it, is wrap it with plastic electrician tape. It might not look the best but that plastic tape sure cleans off nice and easy. Once the tape gets too worn, remove it and put some new on.

Tahquamenon .. What kind of quick release mounts do you have? I had some Burris and had terrible luck with them returning to zero....
Old 12-15-2004, 01:47 PM
Typical Buck

I use the Leupold quick release QRW for the Weaver Slotted style mounts.
Always remove the scopes for detailed cleaning and have yet to have one be more than an inch off of zero when re-installed.
I've got a 3006 rifle, a Mossber 695 Bolt shotgun and my Omega set up with these mounts.
Also know several guys with T/C Encores and Knight Extremes and they are all using the Leupold QRW style mounts with various scopes not just Leupold.

Old 12-15-2004, 05:31 PM

The QRW is a fantastic setup. I put them atop some Weaver Grand Slam bases (steel) on my Savage ML10II. I wont have to remove it but if I ever had to use blackpowder (I cringe at the thought) I would easily be able to remove the setup.

I have had a removable Warne setup (small base) on a Knight for over a dozen years and NEVER had a problem. Even upgraded the scope in 98 but retained the same rings and bases and never had the first problem. I removed the scope EVERY single time I cleaned the gun (that afterall is the biggest reason for having them right?) and never had so much as a hair of in-accuracy.

Getusum,
RA