Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 cleaning inline with scope? >

cleaning inline with scope?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

cleaning inline with scope?

Old 10-10-2006, 09:43 PM

Default cleaning inline with scope?

this might seem dumb, but ive got a cva inline muzzleloader with barrel and breach arent detachable, and ive got a scope on it, so i was wandering if there was a way to use the soapy water thing, without messing up the scope? cause i just spent forever with patches and solvent trying to get it clean

thanks for any help
Old 10-10-2006, 09:47 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: cleaning inline with scope?

Put the muzzle end in a bucket/sink of HOT soapy water.. then swab from the bore end. If you're worried about the scope.. you might wrap it w/ some plastic.
Old 10-10-2006, 09:55 PM
Typical Buck

You can still control the flow of water up the barrel by pumping the ramrod up and down while the barrel is in the hot water bucket. You'll be able to hear as the water reaches the top. A little water on the underside of a scope is no big deal, just doen't get it in the lens.
Old 10-10-2006, 09:59 PM
Dominant Buck

This must be a very old inline if the breech plug does not come out. This isn't an Apollo is it?

You could get a flush kit which is a tube that hooks to a #11 nipple. You put that in place and then suck water through the tube. This can flush the barrel very well actually. People with fancy traditional rifles that have a pinned stock use them.

You can make one if you have a spare nipple. Take it to Wal Mart, go to the pet section and in the fish tank area, start checking tube size. There is one that will fit right over that #11 nipple. A little epoxy and you're in business. Remove the dirty one, put in your fish tank one, and again you have a flush kit for much less money.

Once you get the majority of the fowling out of the barrel, still run some solvent patches to make sure you are getting all of it out. And then some isopropyl alcohol patches to make sure the barrel is nice and dry. A few dry patches and you should be ready to oil.

Or, put the scope in a plastic bag, and dunk it in the tub with a sponge under the scope to soften the pressure to it, and pump the barrel out that way. Be sure to clean the tube, You can get in a lot of trouble for that if you leave fowling all over the tub, and it is nothing compared to the toilet seat trick for the better half....
Old 10-10-2006, 10:02 PM

i guess i should have made that more clear, the breach plug does come out, i was refering to the barrel not being detachable, cause everything ive read says to put the breech end in the water, but if i can do it from the other end that will work for me. let me know if there is anything i should do differently.
Old 10-10-2006, 10:09 PM
Dominant Buck

If the breech plug comes out and the barrel comes out of the stock, then clean it through the barrel. I do not run a water bath normally for my inlines unless they are really filthy. I use a patch soaked with dish washing water and run two or three of them from the breech to the muzzle to get the major fowling out.

Then look through it, it will look clean but you need to clean the breech threads. So this is where I put a nylon breech brush and wrap it with a large patch. I soak that in solvent and then reach in there and clean the threads. Check it with a flash light to make sure the threads are nice and clean. After that a bore brush run through and back a couple times, and then a couple solvent patches and a couple dry patches and the barrel is normally clean. Just make sure you clean the striker area real good. I like to shove a paper towel in there and then soak it with dishwater. I then twist it back and fourth until all the fowling is out of there as well. Then another paper towel and dry it. Oil the thing up. You should be good to go.

What model rifle do you shoot?
Old 10-10-2006, 10:18 PM

its a cva stag horn magnum.. its just a little cheap cva my dad actually won at a Ducks Unlimited banquent. im really new to the black powder hunting, so i appreciate the help alot.

i shoot 100grs of pyrodex pellets with a 300g shockwave bullets. its .50 cal btw. the other day i was on about a 6 inch group at 100 yards with a pretty dirty barrel, before i figured out how important it is to clean it as often as you need to. ill be back at the range before muzzy season this weekend. hopefully with better results.
Old 10-11-2006, 11:44 AM

I had a cva staghorn. That cheap lil rifle was accurate for its price! I forget how the trigger setup was but if its connected to the base of the barrel, just remove it and put the breech area in the bucket of water. Make sure you try that area real good and oil it up. 3 in 1 oil will rust your gun by the way. cva sells scope mounts where u can pull the scope off and then put it back on and have it still on sight. Some where around $20-25 if i remember right. Ahhh wait it just hit me. All you have to pull out is the plug at the back of the barrel where the firing pin, spring, are located. Simple gun to take apart. Once thats out, squeeze the trigger and hold it and the bolt will slide right out.
Old 10-11-2006, 01:25 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Chall1525

its a cva stag horn magnum.. its just a little cheap cva my dad actually won at a Ducks Unlimited banquent. im really new to the black powder hunting, so i appreciate the help alot.

i shoot 100grs of pyrodex pellets with a 300g shockwave bullets. its .50 cal btw. the other day i was on about a 6 inch group at 100 yards with a pretty dirty barrel, before i figured out how important it is to clean it as often as you need to. ill be back at the range before muzzy season this weekend. hopefully with better results.

[hr]

Don't underestimate that CVA Staghorn Magnum. It was one ofthe first inline rifle I ever owned and still own. Mine will shoot 90 grains of loose powder and a 240 grain T/C Mag Express XTP excellent. And for deer that is all the medicine you would need. I've also shot a lot of different projectiles out of it with excellent results. I have a RED DOT on mine. Also 90 grains of powder and a 245 grain aerotip powerbelt will shoot excellent as well.

The other day I was shooting 70 grains of Goex 2f loose and some 370 grain Lyman maxiball. At 50 yards it was holding about a 2" group and I was more then pleased with that, as for a deer load you could not ask for more.

Another hint with your Staghorn, every 10 shots or so, take a small screwdriver and give that breech plug a little twist. It will help to make sure it does not seize up. And when you clean it, about every 5th time, clean the trigger assembly real good.

When I clean the rifle, I take the two screws that hold the trigger on, out and pull the trigger. That way you do not push crud and fowling into the trigger assembly. To clean the trigger get some brake cleaner at Wal Mart. Wear eye protection. Take it outside and shoot the high pressure brake cleaner through the assembly. It will blow all the gunk out of the trigger and make it more smooth and crisp. After that shake it good. I then take some Birchwood Casey Sheath spray and give the inside guts of the trigger a blast. It will really make a nice trigger for you.

Also after you pull the barrel from the stock and remove the hammer/striker, spring and lock nut, then take the trigger off before you attempt to remove the breech plug. It really makes it easy to back that plug out. And when you assemble the rifle just reverse the order, plug, trigger, hammer/striker, spring and lock nut.

Good luck with your rifle.