Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Poaching problems?

Old 08-26-2004, 03:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Poaching problems?

On some property I hunt, someone illegaly shot a bear and just left it there for dead. As far as I know, no one knows who did it.

[:@]Poachers[:'(]
Old 08-26-2004, 08:38 PM

ORIGINAL: adams

A cell phone is your best weapon against poachers and trespassers. I personally don't want to confront someone who is breaking laws with a gun but I sure have no problems making the phone call.
adams is right, you can't beat a cell phone where poachers & trespassers are concerned, especially if they are armed. Absolutely foolish to try to intervene by yourself.

We've got a 2,200 acre lease in the NW Arkansas mountains with a county road right through the middle. Even though we've got the road extremely well posted, we still have a problem with road hunters.

Last season, one of our members heard a vehicle come to a stop on the road not far from where he was hunting. Couple of seconds later, two shots were fired. He went out to the road and found a old pick-up parked on the road with no one in sight. Obviously, they had gone into the woods to retrieve the deer they had shot. He first called a couple of us on his radio for backup and then called the local sherifs department. The deputy actually got there about the same time we did. He immediately recognized the pick-up and said that he knew who they were, that they were really bad folks and that there was no way in heck he was going into the woods after them. We offered to go in with him but he wouldn't have any part of that either.

He called in some more deputies and the game warden. They finally went a ways into the woods and found the doe that had been shot. No sign of the guys from the truck. They took the deer and empounded the truck. Never did hear if they cought the guy.

Point is, even the police had better sense than to go in after these guys. We won't go out of our way to start a confrontation, but we do have sense enough to protect ourselves. We all cary side arms now, especially in the off season, and most of us cary cell phones as well.

firstshot
Old 08-26-2004, 09:43 PM

Never confront a poacher. Get their info like lic plate, vehicle description(make, model & color), how many, names if you know them. Turn it into the Game wardens or State Patrol, that is what they get paid for........thats their job. It doesn't always end the way its supposed to like on Cops.

As far as shooting at their vehicles or "above their heads" is the most ridiculous thing I think Ive read on this site. Yeah you may think it b/c you're so mad but WHAT IF something didn't work out like you planned? Are you ready to face man slaughter or assault wiith a deadly weapon? There are consiquences to everything we do, so we must be able to see past the tunnel vision.

Pass on the info of poachers & let the Game Dept reward you with $$$$ or preference points.
Old 08-27-2004, 05:52 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 08-27-2004, 11:23 AM

Yes, the most reasonable thing is to call the police. Problem is that sometimes the police shows up after they pick the game up and leave and if you don't want to get close enough to get a plate number, it could be hard to get them. Anyway, I know the officers in the Chatham County Sheriff's office and one of them told me they had people calling about firearms being discharged at night in some area. After patrolling the area with unmarked cars for a couple of nights, they finaly caught someone driving around with a gun in his truck. They couldn't charge him for anything though as he hadn't shot anything when they stopped him, but they told him that if they saw him around there again or if he was even thinking about doing anything illegal, he would go down hard...
Old 09-06-2004, 12:46 AM

first let me say this, this web sight is outstanding and it sounds like there is a lot of great sportsman out there, and this reply of mine has no bearing on the ethics or personalities of any of you. but what i have read hear within this post is disturbing.i understand it just plain sucks to have someone misuse your land or better yet our resources for which all of us sportsman like.i have heard within this post set an example.....be a positive role model for children.you guys who talk about shooting at people listen to yourselves.....would you like your child or someone elses shooting at other kids because they were in thier school bags without permission ect. if you dont mind maybe you should sell that wonderful piece of land you have and move to an inner city and you guys with itchy trigger fingers can shoot it out for your past time. so instead of spending a couple of wonderful weeks at deer camp you can spend it in a cold jail cell. worst of all if somthing goes wrong and you got killed you leave your family behind. let the police deal with it, get what proof you can but most of all stay safe. sorry if i offended anyone i hate poachers as much as anybody but let use are heads.
Old 09-06-2004, 11:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

I second the motion!

Uncle Matt (in IL)
Old 09-06-2004, 10:46 PM

sorry guys but i have to agree with bigboyz and uncle matt on this one, shooting at other human beings no matter how much of a lowlife they may be is not the solution, and as well also adds fuel to the anti's fires ,, i can understand how each and everyone of you feel but violence beggets more violance and IMHO this world has enough of it..

i know most of you are speaking out of anger but we as hunters and outdoorsman need to stick together and abide by the rules as hard as that may be in this kind of situation it is truly the only recourse we have,, and i to am sorry if this has upset or offended any of you was not my intent,,, well nuff said deadshot / aka larry
Old 09-07-2004, 10:12 AM

You can always handle it like this farmer did

A stockbroker from New York City got tired of all the stories of his office colleagues who went deer hunting each fall. They frequently boasted of their prowess in the hunt and how many deer they had bagged. So not to be outdone this broker decides he's going hunting to show them all up. He buys the most expensive rifle available, all his hunting clothes and gear from Cabela's, gets his license and then goes hunting. After an exasperating day of hiking through the brush and briars without seeing a single deer, he heads back to his car. On the way back, he sees a nice buck standing in a small clearing. He raises his rifle and blazes away at it and actually hit it. The buck ran and finally fell in a nearby farmyard.

As the hunter started to climb over the fence to retrieve his kill, he was confronted by a farmer who says, "Where in the heck, do you think you're going city boy?"

The guy replies, "I'm going to get my buck.

The farmer replies, "My property, my buck."

The guy says, "Oh come on, I've been out here all day and and that is the only buck that I've seen, I shot it and it's my buck!"

The farmer again says, "My property, my buck."

Well, they argued for a few minutes and, finally, the farmer says, "Ok, I'll tell you what, we'll settle this country style."

The guy says, "What's that?"

The farmer says, "Well, I kick you in the crotch as hard as I can, and then you kick me in the crotch as hard as you can, and we keep this up and the last man standing keeps the buck."

The guy not wanting to return home empty-handed reluctantly agrees. The farmer wearing large heavy work boots haul back and kicks the guy in the crotch with all his might. The guy's eyes roll back in his head, he coughs and wheezes but barely manages to remain standing.

He composes himself somewhat and says to the farmer, "Okay, now its my turn."

The farmer replies, "Oh, you can have the buck."