Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Scent elimination question

Old 08-15-2004, 04:50 PM
Fork Horn

Default Scent elimination question

Normally before heading out into the woods to bow hunt, I shower with scent eliminating soap and shampoo. I am planning on hunting a spot on my way home from work this year and won't be able to shower beforehand.

I will still be able to keep my camo in a airtight bag until I put it on in the woods.
Can anyone recommend anything I can do to minimize my scent as well as the various other scents I have picked up around the office before I head out in the field?
Thanks,
Rick C.
Old 08-15-2004, 05:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Scent elimination question

use hunters deodorant and i believe hunters specialties makes an unscented wipe that you could use as well. eat and apple or drink some vanilla before you go into the stand. if you believe in the no-scent than also buy some scent-lok clothing. thats what i would do. change all clothes too. including underwear and socks
Old 08-15-2004, 05:45 PM
Typical Buck

I have shot many trophy class bucks, stinking like a machine shop. If you are not in the woods you can't tag your buck. I change into cleaner cloths and play the wind. If the buck gets a wiff of you after you shower they will still get a wiff of you. Just plan your entrance, and if you plan on hunting there in the future, plan your exit. Take into consideration where the buck is bedding, where he is going, and how to aproach with the given wind.
Old 08-15-2004, 07:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

I also hunt straight from work . I have a set of camo for this hunting ,I can't be scent free so I hunt the wind and only aproch a stand from a down wind feild and hunt form stands in the first 20 - 30 yds of the woods so my scent blows out in to the feild . I have droped acorns on deer that feed under my stand when I smelled from a day of work .I agree you can't kill deer if you aren't out hunting
Old 08-15-2004, 10:16 PM

This thread might help you...
http://forum.hunting.net/asppg/tm.asp?m=722545