Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Scent Elimination Help

Old 11-14-2002, 10:01 AM

Default Scent Elimination Help

Here's the scenario, my farm country ground blind is 150 yards due north of a mature buck's rub and scrape line (been watching and hunting him for 3 years). The does and this buck feed all night in the alfalfa and corn south of the rub/scrape line(about 500 yds away from my ground blind). I don't have access to the area where they are feeding.
Every a.m. the deer move north along a line of cedars and bed up in a grassed/willowed waterway that is on the west end of the rub/scrape line.
Saturday's forcast says the wind will be out of the north(6 mph), so if I sit in my blind, these deer will definitely smell me.
Here's my question. If I use the all scent elimination products available to me (detergent, soap, deodorant, fresh earth dryer sheets, cardon spray and a cover scent), what are my chances that the deer are going to smell me anyway?
Would it be smarter to hold off hunting that spot until the wind changes and comes out of the south?
Hunting with a rifle.

Please advise.
Old 11-14-2002, 07:44 PM

Default RE: Scent Elimination Help

It might be worth your time to wait it out. But that would be absolute torcher!

The sent elimination products will help, but in my opinion none of them or full proof. You know deer will still come into an area even if they do smell somthing out of the norm.

Those sent products may just cut enough of your sent to do the job, what about the sent-lock clothing? do you have any. If not and you really want to hunt go check them out.

Lots of other members on this board sware by these SL clothing. Also try using an attractant and have the wind blow it in that direction of the deer, they will more than likle focus on this sent more that the faint sent of you if they catch it.

Good luck!

KEEP HUNTING THE GREAT OUTDOORS & GOD ALIVE, PASS IT ON!
Old 11-15-2002, 07:39 AM

Thanks Jred. I think I'm going to wait it out, as torturous as that will be. This old buck doesn't put up with any nonsense and will leave the country if he detects any human scent.....I've seen him do it for the slightest infraction. Argh! It seems sacreligous to not hunt your favorite spot opening day, but I want to hang a mature buck in my yard this year.
Old 11-15-2002, 08:18 AM
Fork Horn

How often is the weather man right? To tell you the truth, I cant remember a time when they were correct. I would wait to check it out that morning and make the decision yourself.

Starrman

Ron Starr
Old 11-15-2002, 09:35 AM

I will take a chance on the wind if you do all of the scent control possible. It also depends on the severity of the wind. If its not gusting and you have complete scent control I would bet that the buck will get close enough for you to get a shot.

If he does get some scent I doubt it would be enough to deter him out of the area. If you have been hunting him for three years I would take a chance. Not too many deer live that long in my area.
Old 11-15-2002, 09:50 AM
Boone & Crockett

If it was me I would wait, why take a chance of getting winded? I do not care what scentloc or whoever says, until they come up with an entirely self contained air conditioned/heated suit, there will be human scent every time you exhale and from what I have heard your breath is the strongest odor your body constantly emits.

The Tazman aka Martin Price
Founder and President of
Virginia Disabled Outdoorsmen Club
Old 11-16-2002, 09:15 PM

The best cover scent is RACK-KOON by Buckstop. Of course, bathe and wash hair in unscented soap, use unscented deodorant, and wash ALL hunting clothes in unscented soap and air dry.

The raccoon urine cover scent is so good because raccoons are not deer predators, they live everywhere, and they sleep in trees so deer are accustomed to their scent coming from tree stand level.

Here's an example. Toward the end of the season last year, I was using the raccoon cover scent (both in the stand and on my rubber boots while walking to and from my stand). A group of does fed toward my stand, then under my stand, then went to a pond 50 yards away from my stand, and never once spooked. One of the does even scratched her back on the cross braces of my tower blind.

The raccoon scent is so good I really don't worry too much about wind direction anymore, and most deer hunters will tell you that is impossible.
Old 11-16-2002, 09:26 PM

The best cover scent is RACK-KOON by Buckstop. Of course, bathe and wash hair with unscented soap, use unscented deodorant, and wash ALL hunting clothes in unscented soap and air dry.

The raccoon cover scent is so good because raccoons are not deer predators, they are everywhere, and they sleep in trees so deer are accustomed to their scent coming from tree stand level.

Here's an example. Near the end of last season, I was using raccoon cover scent (in my stand and on my rubber boots before walking to and from my stand). A group of does fed their way toward my stand, under my stand, and went to a pond 50 yards from my stand, and never spooked. One of the does even scratched her back on the cross supports of my tower blind.

The raccoon cover scent is so good I don't even give much thought to wind direction anymore, which most deer hunters would say is impossible.