Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Any helpful hints on scrape hunting? >

Any helpful hints on scrape hunting?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Any helpful hints on scrape hunting?

Old 02-25-2002, 12:47 PM

Default Any helpful hints on scrape hunting?

Can anyone give me any helpful hints to scrape hunting? What scents should I use? Should I just put scents on it or should I rattle or both?
Thank you.
Old 02-26-2002, 02:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Any helpful hints on scrape hunting?

Welcome to the board, Makoto and James!
James' advice is pretty solid! Remember to watch the wind direction too. Bucks will ofen scent check their scrapes from downwind! Good luck!
Old 02-26-2002, 04:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Any helpful hints on scrape hunting?

[quote]
Makoto, there's a number of different things you could try. I hunted early October last year and found luck with rattling horns and doe in heat scent. I watched the four bucks a few days prior, so I set up doe in heat scents over some scrapes on the edge of the fields I hunt. I saw two bucks about three hundred yards from me on the opposite side of the field so I rattled. It was only minutes before the larger of the two was under my stand. My dad also did something pretty neat this last year also. He was hunting a natural funnel with a lot of scrape activity. He placed some doe in heat scent around the scrapes. Then he made mock scrapes and placed tarsal glands from a buck I shot (this one during rifle season) over them. The next morning, he sat there. About fifteen minutes passed when he tried grunting. The buck came running in, obviously upset that another buck was in his territory. A few examples on things you might try. Whatever you do, I don't think you'll ever hurt anything by trying. Best of luck.
http://community.webshots.com/user/notorious_vee