Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Hunting Stories

Old 02-24-2002, 12:14 PM

Default Hunting Stories

This year was my first year hunting, and I missed a bruiser buck. We saw few deer in a field and decided to get a closer look. When we got closer, the deer jumped into the bush. My Dad decided to post me by a bush they thought he would run to when he pushed it. To get any sight of the bush being pushed I had to lie prone on top of a small hill that blocked my vision. Dad went through and almost immediatly 5 does and a fawn came trottin' out straight at me. They turned when they saw me, about 30 yards away. As they went by a huge buck with a 8 inch drop tine stepped out of the bush that dad was in and followed the exact route that the does had taken. He came to 30 yards before turning broadside. I had my 30.006 ready and when he turned, I took my shot..."CLICK"! There was no shell in the chamber. My mind raced, what was wrong? The buck now 50 yards away seemed undisturbed by the click of the hammer. I waited for them to enter the next bush. I checked my gun and nothing seemed wrong. Misfire? No. The clip was in, but not all the way. It got jammed on the way in and stayed there halfway in. We pushed the next bush but nothing came out. We never saw the big buck again. Dad will never let me forget this and I know I'll never forget it.

Did anyone else have an agonizing experience like this last deer season?
Old 02-24-2002, 02:47 PM

Default RE: Hunting Stories

No? I'm the only one out there that has a story to tell of the big one that got away? No one has ade silly mistakes that cost them a trophy buck? Or am I the only one with enough GUTS to put it out there?
</img>
Hunting leaves track in the snow and tracks on my heart.
Old 02-24-2002, 10:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

WELL I HAVE NEVER HAD ANYTHING LIKE THAT HAPPEN I HAVE HAD SEVERAL DIFFERENT THINGS HAPPEN WHILE HUNTING. ONE OF THE BEST ONES WAS WHEN I FIRST STARTED HUNTING, I WAS WALKING ALONG AND I SAW A GUY HOLDING WHAT LOOKEDLIKE A AK-47 WITH A 30 ROUND CLIP, ALL I HAD WAS A OLD LEVER ACTION 30-30 SO I MADE A QUICK ABOUT FACE AND HAULED BUTT OUTTA THERE.
Old 02-25-2002, 07:11 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 02-25-2002, 07:58 AM

I don't want to embarrass anyone out there. I made a stupid mistake and I wanted to know if anyone had something like this happen to them. Robb, I think you made the right choice, I wouldn't want to be in the same general area with a guy that sports an army gun. Just a safety issue. Thanx Duke and Robb for sharing.
</img>
Hunting leaves tracks on my heart and imprints memories in my head.
Old 02-25-2002, 09:36 AM
Boone & Crockett

I must lead a charmed life, I have blown an opportunity on a doe once, we came out of the woods and because we had to cross a road to get to the truck we unloaded. Well we crossed the road and as we approached the truck three doe bust out of the woods right in front of the truck, I was able to get a shell in the gun and drew a bead on the last doe in line and squeezed the trigger untill I thought my finger would break! Then I realized I had the safety on. The doe hit the woods before I got the safety off.

The Tazman
Old 02-25-2002, 04:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have bowhunted for 45 years now & &quot;IF&quot; I had collected every TROPHY BUCK that I shot at I would be in demand for every sport show in the world. I would make Miles Keller look like a Novice &quot;BUT&quot; since he's got em & I don't-I rest my case. I still had the thrill of the shot.

always thankful
Old 02-25-2002, 04:24 PM

Thanx for sharing that with us Taz. Good luck in the future.
</img>
Old 02-25-2002, 04:45 PM

I have heard of several people sitting in the tree all morning and coming out at lunchtime to discover that their gun was unloaded all morning long. This past season I started my 14 year old nephew to hunting. I placed him in a tree about 60 yards away out of my view. He has lots of dove and squirrel experience. On Thanksgiving morning I had alredy heard a plastic water bottle make a popping noice from his direction. At about 10:30 I heard a snap-click-clack-click noise and a second later he shot. I saw a deer running down the pine ridge at me and started to shoot until I saw a lot of blood running down the deer's side. I watched for a few seconds and saw it fall. This was his first one ever. I found out in a little while that the click-clacking noise I heard was him bolting a cartridge into his .270 Remington 700 after it had snapped on an empty chamber. He had 3 in the magazine but forgot to put one in the chamber before daylight. It was funny to me and yes he was lucky the deer was walking and did not hear the noise.
Old 02-25-2002, 06:43 PM

Smokepole, I can relate very much to this. The year before I could legally hunt, my dad missed a nice buck. We saw it from the truck so he jumped out and walked to the fencepost to shoot.(You can shoot from the fencepost here in Alberta, it's not considered the road) And he popped the clip in and took a shot. Only thing was there was no bullet in the chamber and when the buck heard the click he was off like a shot and we never caught up with him. Thanx for sharing smokepole.

ps. i changed my name.
</img>

Quick Reply: Hunting Stories

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.