HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Any helpful hints on scrape hunting?
View Single Post
Old 02-26-2002, 04:24 PM
James Vee
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Any helpful hints on scrape hunting?

[quote]
Makoto, there's a number of different things you could try. I hunted early October last year and found luck with rattling horns and doe in heat scent. I watched the four bucks a few days prior, so I set up doe in heat scents over some scrapes on the edge of the fields I hunt. I saw two bucks about three hundred yards from me on the opposite side of the field so I rattled. It was only minutes before the larger of the two was under my stand. My dad also did something pretty neat this last year also. He was hunting a natural funnel with a lot of scrape activity. He placed some doe in heat scent around the scrapes. Then he made mock scrapes and placed tarsal glands from a buck I shot (this one during rifle season) over them. The next morning, he sat there. About fifteen minutes passed when he tried grunting. The buck came running in, obviously upset that another buck was in his territory. A few examples on things you might try. Whatever you do, I don't think you'll ever hurt anything by trying. Best of luck.
http://community.webshots.com/user/notorious_vee