Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 winchester ballistic silvertips >

winchester ballistic silvertips

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

winchester ballistic silvertips

Old 07-20-2004, 08:04 PM

Default winchester ballistic silvertips

has anybody here deer hunt with the 130 gr silver ballistic tips. what kind of hole do they leave and the knockdown power.
Old 07-20-2004, 08:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: winchester ballistic silvertips

I bought a .243 2 years ago and those are the first bullets I bought for it. When I went to the range I was extremely dissapointed on how my gun shot, the thing would not group for nothing at a 100 yds. turns out it was the ammo. I am shooting hornadys and group about an inch to an inch and half at 200 yds. so they didnt work in my gun at all. I also have now come to believe that rapid fragmentation is not good on big game. I like a bullet to go through a deer. Also if you hit bone it probably will be stopped. I wouldnt reccomend them for deer. coyotes go for it.
Old 07-20-2004, 09:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have used the 30 cal 165 gr in my 30-06 for several years with great results, good accurey ,great expantion .The ballistic silvertip is a coated nosler ballistic tip.
Old 07-20-2004, 10:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

I load 130 grain Nosler Combined Technologies Ballistic Silvertips for my 270 Win. They shoot great, hit hard, do a fine job of killing and are not near as "explosive" as people claim. I have yet to fail to get a pass-through on broadside shots. I believe it is a fine bullet for deer sized game.
Old 07-21-2004, 06:27 AM
Fork Horn

I used them in my .338 200gr. They work well but had a problem with the recoil peening the points down on the shells sitting in the mag , Never had a problem with the noslers so they must be made of softer plastic. At 130 gr I would guess you want to use them in a .270 .. They will be a good choice but will leave a good size hole ..
Old 07-21-2004, 10:02 AM

I took a look at them at Wal Mart, they were about $23 per box. Federals with the similar tip, were only $20, at Gander Mountain. Wal Mart did not have these Federals. I am going to try the Federals this year for my 30-06 versus the Winchesters.

T
Old 07-21-2004, 10:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

Personally I prefer the NBT, albeit they are CT of Olin and Nosler I have found better accuracy with the Nosler Ballistic Tip in my rifles. They work very well on deer and punch large exit holes due to the polymer tip beginning forced into the jacket upon impact. IMO for H/L shooter there extremely effective on deer at moderate to long range. However if your shots are 100 or under or you aim for shoulders then I may suggest looking at a flat based bullet vs the BT. I pulled a 130 Bt/270 win on a large buck a number years of ago which hit him flush in the shoulder, the bullet came completely unglued. While it resulted in a broken wheel and fragments proved to be leathal, the buck still went a fair distance and required time to expire. I don't consider this a bullet failure but rather shooter error, I have continued to use the NBT's for deer with confidence in different calibers and most deer don't make it out of sight with a vital hit.
Old 07-21-2004, 02:19 PM

I have used the 130 grain BST in my Browning 270 with a BOSS and the bullets are VERY accurate. That being said, I find that if I hit part of the shoulder(shooter error) with these that they completely break up. If the shot is placed in the boiler room then they are great working bullets. I use 180 grain cheap old core loks in my 30.06 and get better overall results with pass throughs and large holes.
Old 07-21-2004, 06:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: johnch

I have used the 30 cal 165 gr in my 30-06 for several years with great results, good accurey ,great expantion .The ballistic silvertip is a coated nosler ballistic tip.
same here but the deer i shot with it this year diddent have a large exit hole maby i just had incorrect thoughts of baseball size holes but the exit hole was a little bigger then a quarter but the deer diddent go far maby 20 yds. so they do good in my book and they shoot very well out of my gun
Old 07-21-2004, 09:05 PM
Typical Buck

I used the 165 gr. Ballistic Silvertips in my .308 one year. I took a small buck with them at about 40 yards through some pretty heavy cover. I was extremely suprised that the fragile bullets made it through the cover. He was quartering away and i hit a few inches behind the shoulder. I have like 5 exit wounds, each about the size around of your pinky finger. They didnt do too bad but i prefer a more stable bullet.

Dave

Quick Reply: winchester ballistic silvertips

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.