Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 winchester ballistic silvertips >

winchester ballistic silvertips

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

winchester ballistic silvertips

Old 07-21-2004, 09:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: winchester ballistic silvertips

I took a small buck with them at about 40 yards through some pretty heavy cover. I was extremely suprised that the fragile bullets made it through the cover.
Perhaps the bullet struck an obstacle on the way to the deer which can be a contributing factor to bullets not holding together as well as they normally would.
Old 07-21-2004, 09:24 PM

i have used these many of times, 130 grain, in my 270. they havent left a massive exit wound yet. the biggest was maybe the size of aquarter at the largest.
Old 07-22-2004, 06:18 AM
Fork Horn

If you are worried about a big hole you can jump up from 130 to say 150 .the bullet will stay together a little better ..
Old 07-22-2004, 07:36 AM

they are my 2nd choice nice bullet though, good knock down power but they do fragment alot
Old 07-22-2004, 07:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

My son and I both have used the Ballistic silvertip in 130 and 140 gr and we are completely satisfied with the performance we have gotten from them.
Old 07-22-2004, 07:55 PM

I ve used them in my .270 for the last 3 seasons, took 4 deer with them. All one shot-drop kills. Will continue using them.
Old 07-23-2004, 10:42 AM

I've used the 165-grain loads in my '06. It's like firing a grenade into the deer. One of the deer I hit with one dropped on the spot, and there was no exit wound. I think that the range (10 yards, and 20 feet up in a tree stand) and the fact that I hit the doe in the spinal column were the main reasons. The second deer I hit had an exit wound that was 1" x 3 1/2", conservatively. I could see blood running out of the deer as it ran 35 or so yards. Ray Charles could have followed the blood trail, it was so wide.
Old 07-23-2004, 06:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

I use the 168 grain in my .308. It's the only bullet I will shoot in my 308.
I shot a doe last year with it at abo 75yds and it went through that deer and hit another. I took both does home and ate em.
Old 07-23-2004, 09:26 PM

I havent shot them, nor do i plan to. Can't beat the HORNADY SST or Interbond. The interbond has the polymer tip but it has a stronger jacket. I shot 4 deer with the SST's, they all went through except one, which i shot on a head on shot, taking out the heart and boucning around the rib cage. I hit a doe last fall with the 130 grain interbond, with her angling downhill. i put one between teh shoulder blades dropping her on the spot, hitting her in the spine and then the bullet went into the boiler room and took out a bunch of junk in there. a 260 yard running shot went completely through the upper pelvis on a buck last year. killed him on the spot.

I love hornady, a bit more expensive, but it has tighter manufacturing tolerances than winchester or federal or remington. plus, my gun loves them too. only things that hate them are the deer!

slayer
Old 07-23-2004, 10:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree slayer I use hornady's also. I am shooting a .243 in 100 gr and at the range the hornady's will be dead on at 200 yds while all the others, federal, winchester and remington will be shooting about 2 inches lower. It takes there 80 gr bullets to hit the same as the Hornadys 100 gr at 200 yds. Weird huh ? I have taken some awsome shots with the hornady's, they blow right through bone and tissue. They are very very accurate too.

Quick Reply: winchester ballistic silvertips

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.