Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 where should I place my stands >

where should I place my stands

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

where should I place my stands

Old 07-18-2004, 10:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default where should I place my stands

I am going to hunt a new woods this season. I Have a few stand sites picked out. One of the stand sites I dont have any questions about. The second stand site is a bit tricky. For starters I feel its a excellent place to hang a stand it was once cleared away and is now all grown up and there are trails all over I am sure there are some beds. One problem there is no easy way to get to this site. I plan on hanging a stand downwind of this area. There is also a river that is about 30 feet south of this area. The only way I have found is to walk out and around I should remain downwind of this area. I would like your input.
Old 07-18-2004, 10:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: where should I place my stands

maybe you should let me hunt it this year and i will let you know which spots are best for the next year
Old 07-19-2004, 09:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Obviously, the best approach is from downwind. Not sure just how close you are to the places they bed, but you should be a bit careful so you don't bump them out of their beds. Wind can switch for a day here or there, so maybe plan two routes to the same stand, or maybe even another stand location. Sounds to me like a location you wouldn't want to hunt too much, so they stay comfortable bedding there.
Old 07-19-2004, 09:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have 2 stands that I get to by canoe . This opened a lot of stand locations with no spooking deer , also it is easer to pattle out a buck than drag.
Old 07-19-2004, 09:53 AM

If getting to this place by canoe is an issue, then what I would do is grab a saw and some snips and clear yourself a 3 foot wide path right to your stand. Deer will start using this trail as one of their main trails because it's easy walking for them. Especially if it's through some really thick stuff. I'd do it asap, so they get used to it and your scent is gone and they are back to their normal routines long before the season rolls around. I have done this and the deer use it just as much if not more than their normal trails.
Old 07-28-2004, 11:06 AM
Typical Buck

When I hunt stands that are difficult to get to I don't hunt them in the mornings and I usually hunt them late in the season. For one, you are usually pretty noisy in the morning especially in the pitch black and also this gives deer this sanctuary of relief from hunting pressure from surrounding areas. By late season you should be able to get in your stand in early afternoon and I think you could possibly see the big boy.
Old 07-29-2004, 11:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

i dont know how you go about picking a spot to hunt, but for me some places just pop out at me, like here i am, i am the big bucks hang out area! Its just a feeling i get and i stuck with that for years and i am always in the right spot at the right time for some reason, my buddy just says i smell like a deer because i spend too much time with em,lol. He teases me too much