Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 "How would you hunt this" with real satallite images HELP ! >

"How would you hunt this" with real satallite images HELP !

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

"How would you hunt this" with real satallite images HELP !

Old 07-10-2004, 03:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: "How would you hunt this" with real satallite images HELP !

You couldnt get me to leave that place, i would occupy that old house and hunt the whole season! Let us know where u got that areil photo and how u got the coordinates of your stomping ground i need one just like that.
Old 07-10-2004, 04:51 PM

Okay first off, where to start.
The house in the middle is mine, though I do not stay there.
The north pond IS a good pond, we go fishing there regularly, though have almost NEVER seen a deer out there.
LATE at night about 2-4 am sometimes I go out spotlighting, (it is legal here, as this is farmland and I am protecting my crops) and I look for varmints, I have NEVER seen a deer anytwhere past the house at night time, though they are littered all over the front fields.
The pond in the north is about 100 yds in diameter, some would call it a lake. to me its a pond, and I have very rarely ever seen any tracks anywhere near it except as a go through spot, and even then the tracks are very rare.
The farmers next door grows cows. He does not plant anything, he is a dairy farmer.
Old 07-10-2004, 10:06 PM

Hoopy- It appears and sounds like you might neglect the "big woods" in the back due to the thick briars and inaccessability. If the water along the left side of your aerial is navigable, I would use a small boat or canoe to access the back woods to set blinds, scout, clear shooting lanes etc... then I would use the same boat to access it during season to haul that bad out of there. At the very least that route looks the best wat to get back there. I'd bet big bucks there is an old amture buck bac there. Is that water a permanent creek with year round water? If you own the land you should definately thin it out in places. Make the property more attractive to deer and they will come from all over to live there.
Old 07-10-2004, 11:08 PM

Ah the stream is about 3 feet wide and about 1 ft deep at the most, it is covered by trillions of very very thick "weeds" that look like bamboo that are about 10 feet tell.
I walked the stream once, it took me almost an hour to get from accross the house down to the road, a normal 10 minute walk.
Old 07-10-2004, 11:09 PM

I'll walk it tommorrow and post pics of different areas and show you what I mean by "impassible"
Old 07-11-2004, 09:08 AM
Fork Horn

i once found a buck crawling thru the really THICK **** behind me about 20 yards. he woudl move when i would.. those buggers know whats up. the only way to my stand was thru the thick stuff, and i had a slight path cut from about two weeks worth of trucking thru there. the big bucks started using that path. if i were you i woudl border the thick stuff make your stand between that and teh watereing holes. i have had great luck waiting at the edge of teh thick stuff. especially during the rut the big ones seem to get smarter. and the reason you guys might not have seen any bucks is because when you get there in the morning you just spooked em all to run further up to the north spots. there is what looks like a valley or opening in the northwest that has sign in it, i woudl set up somewhere between that and the pond.
Old 07-15-2004, 05:31 PM

You couldnt get me to leave that place, i would occupy that old house and hunt the whole season! Let us know where u got that areil photo and how u got the coordinates of your stomping ground i need one just like that.
Exactly what I say! I do not know the scale that this map is based upon, but from that house, you could shoot to the pond, the big yellow area witht the lines, and maybe even reach the second deer trail up from the road.

If that wouldnt work, I would set mayself inbetween the two trails at the bottom. You could probably hunthtere with a shotgun. The shots would only be about 150 yards max. to either side. (If I am reading this correctly)

Also, I know some guys asked earlier, how did you get the map/over-head views???

Just my 2 cents
Old 07-15-2004, 10:08 PM
Fork Horn

Can't really tell what size trees are in there but what are the chances of you being able to
cut down some of em? A big fall down smack in the middle of one of those strips forcing the deer to use more visible paths may be possible.Force the deer to show a little bit more of themselves when they pass. I'd think as long as it is done right they would continue funneling right through avoiding the open and the fall down.Doesn't seem like they would abandon the paths through the strips if it was done right as too much browse for them to be able to afford to avoid it and too much open area on the sides.How wide are those strips? Just an idea. Got a few blowdowns on my property and the deer never go directly through it in season, always skirt the edges. take care.
Old 07-15-2004, 10:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

What about the small field area surrounded by growth in the upper center of the pic????