Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Groups > Young Hunters
 First Real Duck Hunt >

First Real Duck Hunt

Community
Young Hunters Specifically for the kids, this is a great place to share experiences and meet other young hunters.

First Real Duck Hunt

Old 11-18-2006, 03:31 PM

Default First Real Duck Hunt

Today was my first real duck hunt. Now, this is my first ever season hunting. Ive been deer hunting once, and scoter hunting once, scoring only one fowl. Thursday night I got asked by my godfather Scott to go hunting with him here in the deep south of Louisiana. LIke I would turn down a chance to go duck hunting! The scoter hunting trip had me hooked on shotgunning, and I had to get a fix! Well, I awoke at three this morning and got to Scott's house at 4 sharp. It took him a bit to eat breakferst, but once he was done, we went and met up with our two hunting partners, his friend Johnathan and Johnathan's nephew Beau. We left his house around five and made it to the launch around twenty minutes later. It was a fifteen minute boat ride to mine and Scott's drop point, where we would go by pirouge (Cajun style canoe) to our blind. It took twenty minutes to get to it, and an addtional fifteen to get out his thirty or so decoys. Once he got settled, we began to converse about what we heard, which was marsh hens and a mallard or two. Sadly, none of our expectations were to be met. The only duck we got a shot at was a black duck and we only winged him. So, for the rest of the time, we took to taking out marsh hens and snipe. I got three of the first and one of the later. Johnathan and Beau only got a snipe. So, as you can see, not a good day. What was wierd as we saw plenty of duck, but because they had been shot at so much, and wind conditions, we couldnt call any in. And we tried like heck. So, we paddled back to our drop point and waited for our partners. We were picked up five minutes later and we boated back to port and went back to Scotts. For the rest of the afternoon, we ate oysters and shot skeet. I even shot my first .270 and 12 gauge! It was a truly exciting day for a 15 year old newbie to hunting.
Old 11-21-2006, 08:29 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: First Real Duck Hunt

sounds like a lot of fun
Old 11-21-2006, 09:41 AM

Yeah, it was. I still have the bruise on my bicep from now shouldering up right.
Old 11-21-2006, 01:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

congrats, welcome to the forums.
Old 11-21-2006, 02:33 PM

Thanks man. I feel at home.
Old 11-29-2006, 03:49 PM

[&o]nice[8D][&:][>:][X(][:@][:'(][][:-]