Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 every build a bond with a deer >

every build a bond with a deer

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

every build a bond with a deer

Old 07-01-2004, 07:37 PM

Default RE: every build a bond with a deer

I bonded with one then killed him.
Old 07-01-2004, 09:28 PM

Usually when I'm kneeling over him to thank him for the hunt and the bounty he provides.I get a little sad for a minute then I thank him and the Lord...then onto getting him home.
Old 07-02-2004, 11:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Naw never got attched to a deer like that except I am attached to the damn good feeling of bagging a deer. Though there was one time a friend bought a steer he was fattening up to slaughter but during the 3 years before he went to the slaughter house. He kinda became like a dog or pet to me, When I would come over this cow would moo at me then follow me everywhere around the farm I even gave him a name Mr. Brown cow. When he was turned into 400 lbs of steak and burger I bawled for a week but......... I was like 9 years old then. Now that I'm older I know better that cows are to stupid to be pets thats why they make better food, the only reason that steer would moo at me and follow me around is he was wanting me to feed him since that was one of my jobs at the age of 9, feeding the cows
Old 07-03-2004, 08:36 PM

a guy down the road found a calf and fed it for over a year the frist fall he let it in the barn and the next it left and showed up in our feedlot eating with the cattle that fall i thought i got shot b/c you could walk up to it in the bush and that jan. it came back when the snow got deep then in the spring it had a little buck we saw it on our law 1 time and could pet the both of them it has not been seen to this day

one afternoon i was down in the brown grass and the snow when the cows walked by this was the 2 day so i was not shoting to fast after the cows came a doe and i watched it in the 3x9 at 75yd i sat it as it ate then i sat up in plane sight she looked at me and kept on eating i was hopeing for her to bring on a buck or more deer but the cattle saw her and darn near ran her into the ground they hit her b4 she thought of moveing our cattel are like guard dogs when it comes to things in ther land
Old 07-03-2004, 09:35 PM
Fork Horn

I had a wide, odd racked deer on our property that I watched for three years with a scouting camera, one found shed antler and during hunting season from my stand. The "bond" didn't keep me from shooting him with my bow on the third year when I thought that he was big enough and he now hangs on my wall.
Old 07-21-2004, 04:53 AM

Now, I would not believe my story if it hadn't happened to me. About 20 years ago, I was very active in the martial arts. My friend and I were instructors. Afer teaching class one night, he invited me back to his mother-in-laws where he had been living. He had me follow him behind the polce barn. Suddenly in a normal voice he started calling out John... John...towards the woods behind the barn. I asked him what he was doing and he jsut said watch. After a few more calls, out came this forkhorn with a red bandana around his neck. It walked right up to us and bega licking our hands and arms ( I guess it was afer the salt from our sweat). Being a city boy at the time I asked him why did he call him John. He told me his mother-in-law did that...John Deere tractors. I could believe this. I came back several more time only to have the same thing happen. However, I do not think the bandana di him any favors because the following year he never showed. I guess he must have been taken. I know this sounds like BS but all I can say is it happened.
Old 07-21-2004, 11:43 AM
Spike

Behind my house in Michigan I have about an acre of clear land that I plant in clover and alfa. I get quite a few deer in the yard and they don't seem to mine me at all and never even run, when I'm out and about. Well I planted a wind break around the field with norway spruce and was putting a fence around them so that they have a chance to grow without being eaten. At the time there was about 10 to 15 deer in the field and never paid any attention to them and went about my work, well I don't know what made me turn around, but standing about 3 feet from me were 6 deer standing and looking at me as if to say what the heck are you doing. Than one of the does went over the the area that I just finished and sniffed the fence and than looked at me and turn and walk away, do you know every deer did that and than just walk away and back to feeding again. Strange but true
Old 07-27-2004, 05:50 PM

feed deer year around at farm had one that lost its mother got real tame hung around the first year did'nt get dhot second year grew long spikes looked like an antelope so that was his nickname the antelope deer had him in my sights 4 times and never could take the shot nice fat 2 year old too Left one evening to go out some bas drove in that evening jacked the deer I guess that puts a different twist on things he is'nt in my freezer
Old 07-27-2004, 10:27 PM
Typical Buck

Bambikiller, I think your drunk!!! I used to watch these three fawns and their mother last fall along the boulevard by my house. You could actually walk to them and be literally 10 yds away before they would run. I could do this time after time. I don't eve think of killing them b/c for one, I can't it is on private city property and these animals give me some sort of joy. Its interesting to watch deer in different perspectives other than to hunt them.
Old 07-30-2004, 10:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

i had built a "bond" with a doe that year after year always seemed to "happen by" my stand after the shooting would get going. She'd come by in the late afternoon, not morning, like she could tell something wasn't right in the woods. She was never panicky, just meandering by, I think she might have been deaf-but I'm not a doctor and I don't play one on TV.

I guess the thing I liked about her was that, well I admit it, she was , well you might say "plump". Oh alright she was FAT. So I like 'em on the large side, it ain't a crime is it?

Well every year, year after year, she'd come by. Fatter and fatter. One day she came by and I saw a special kind of twinkle in her eyes that said to me, "You can share with me, I'm special. It's OK to share."

So as I shouldered my shotgun, I thought back to the day my Father had handed me that old Brenneke slug I had chambered. How he had said that the Germans were certainly some of the best enginerers in the world, and how their Rottweil slug would never disappoint a hunter if used properly. Then I stopped thinking and started "bonding", I created a special bond between her inner being, the hot lead and the brush behind where she had just stood. Yeah, we "bonded."

But once the smoke had cleared, the prayer was spoken and the meat was butchered the "bonding" began again. I bonded that meat with the BBQ grill, the oven, the chili in the crock pot. I "bonded" it during football games and at the races. I "bonded" it with Scotch Bonnet pepper sauces, BBQ sauces, some whiskeys and other assorted alcohol based tenderizers/marinades, Jamacian Jerk seasoning and even my boys "bonded" it with some KETCHUP! (YUK!)

Yeah, we "bonded" alright.

But the only real relevant question at this time is...........who's next?

I kinda like this bonding thing.

Uncle Matt (in IL)

Quick Reply: every build a bond with a deer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.