Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 every build a bond with a deer >

every build a bond with a deer

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

every build a bond with a deer

Old 06-23-2004, 07:55 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: every build a bond with a deer

I had a three legged doe come into the bean field I was hunting. I watched how she feed and decided she was a good live decoy.
Old 06-23-2004, 08:18 AM

One time, while I was driving my Nissan around the corner from my house, this young deer ran across the street and then turned in the direction I was going. I hit her in the rear leggs and broke one. She broke my head light and took off limping. I was glad I did not kill this deer.

Several years later, while hunting my woods, 3 deer ran in and I shot my first big doe with the ML. When I got to her, she had a curved rear hoof and broken leg that healed. I believe it was the same doe I hit several years before. She was also nursing earlier that year.

I told a friend who lives around the corner, what happened and he told me she was in his yard every night feeding. I said, not any more and he was a little sadden by this, but after he had some meat, he wasn't sad anymore.

T
Old 06-23-2004, 08:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think we all had a bond with a buck or doe that we thought wasnt ready to be harvested i know i have, i had a mature doe and her 2 yearling that would show up every where i hunted on this property! They would travel all over, but everytime this wise old doe would bust me she would smell me see me or hear me and just start blowing for ever!! So i decided that she was too smart and she needs to go because she was teaching those young deer all about me and they too would be wise deer and lesson my chances at mr.big, so one day i was sitting in a creek with a buddy of mine bow hunting and here they come she walked broadside about 10yds and i let her have it! i felt bad but she sure tasted good and it was my friends first field dress.
Old 06-23-2004, 10:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

There was a bow season a good number of years ago now, where there were 2 apparently orphaned, but old enough to survive fawns that frequented my hunting area. I saw them on almost a daily basis and most of the time walked within 20 yds of them on the way to my tree. Once going in in the dark I literally almost stepped on the one and it scared the H*ll out of me(I didn't use lights going in). As the season lingered on, I'd see them less frequent, and figured they'd started to mature and explore newer areas.
Old 06-23-2004, 11:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have never built a rapor with any particular deer because I honestly don't hunt in areas with high deer numbers. That's not to say that we have not taken deer that other guys could not identify. The closest I have come is when I have let deer walk instead of pulling that trigger. Recently I saw a big doe with another smaller deer. That smaller one happened to be a (legal) spike. He walked right under my treestand on the last day of NH deer season. He looked confused and soaken wet and when I put my sights on him, I decided not to shoot. He may have only been a spike (would have dressed about 125 pounds) but he still would have been acceptable. I had no special rapor with that deer before I saw him, but I can certainly relate to those who have. I guess it's only human nature and I don't agree a deer ain't no dog because I have seen plenty of dogs in the woods I would have wanted to shoot before any deer.
Old 06-25-2004, 07:01 AM

i agree with jimmy...i have passed up small deer but not a connection really...i have wanted to shoot many dogs that spoiled my hunting....last year i had a nice 8 point headin down a deer trail at the top of the woods headed in my direction....here come the same dogs that always screw everything up...they were chasin the neighbors cattle and off the buck went never seen him again that season.
Old 06-25-2004, 08:18 PM
Fork Horn

I can't say "bond" but I sure enjoy watching deer in the off season. Call it a passion for hunting or the outdors but man, Deer are a beautiful creature. And I sure enjoy them at the fall watching as well as hunting them.
Old 06-25-2004, 09:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

i like to watch deer as much as possible during the offseason. but as soon as season comes the only watchin that i do is waiting for them to get into bow range.
Old 06-25-2004, 10:21 PM

Years ago I remember a doe and two fawns that I saw on numerous occasions. I could basically walk up to within 40 yards of them. The doe was very unique. She was very sleek but had eyes that were closer together than normal. We saw her for about 3 seasons before she disappeared. I can't say that I was attached to her, but with all of the deer that I would see each time I entered the woods, I couldn't have imagined popping her when there were so many other "strange deer" in the woods.
Old 07-01-2004, 07:22 PM
Spike

The deer with one eye that got hit by the car, did she take it on the blind side??

Quick Reply: every build a bond with a deer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.