Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Weird debris found in barrel...help? >

Weird debris found in barrel...help?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Weird debris found in barrel...help?

Old 10-05-2008, 04:00 PM
Spike

Default Weird debris found in barrel...help?

I fired my TC Encore 8 times the other day using 2 777 pellets(100gr) and swabbing the barrel out with a saturated patch and then a dry patch after each shot. I cleaned up up today and the first couple patches I ran through pushed out some gritty foulings. Im pretty positive that I have never seen this before, could it be unburned powder? The debris was sort of crusty and gritty, maybe it is whatever the coating is that holds those pellets together? or some slightly moist powder that didn't burn? Anyhow, I didn't like it too much and am either switching to 777 in powder form, or see what all the hype over Blackhorn209 is all about. And why we are at it, can some one explain the differences between ff, fffg and so on for me, thanks.

-Kevin
Old 10-05-2008, 04:22 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Weird debris found in barrel...help?

I didn't like it too much and am either switching to 777 in powder form, or see what all the hype over Blackhorn209 is all about. And why we are at it, can some one explain the differences between ff, fffg and so on for me, thanks.

The number of F's deal with the size of the grains of powder. Normally Fg is cannon powder or for the very large bore muskets like the brown bess. FFg is rifle grade powder. Normally they suggest this powder for .50 caliber and bigger. FFFg is pistol or small bore rifle powder. This is the powder they use in black powder pistols, revolvers and rifles .50 caliber and under. .50 caliber is kind of the turning point. FFFFg is priming powder for the pans of the flintlocks. It is very fine. There is even small grain powders like FFFFFg commonly used in blasting. Its more like dust...

As the grade increases, so generally does the strength of the powder. So you have to keep in mind the size of the powder you are burning and adjust your loads of powder to match that.

That stuff you saw in your barrel was probably unburnt powder. When you swab, you do bring out fowling, but you also push some fowling down around the bore as well.

BlackHorn 209 is a good powder if you have the right rifle. You have a good rifle for that powder. You might want to give it a try.
Old 10-05-2008, 04:41 PM

Yeah know,the other day when I was out shooting my Lyman Mustang rifle with Goex
2 F powder,I to noticed some strange RED FLAKES when cleaning between shots..

I thought it looked like flakes of red dot powder,but how would that have gotten into
the Goex,unless they are using a special blend of mix...

Or maybe it came off of the Dead Center bullets I was trying out....Mystery to me...
Old 10-05-2008, 07:31 PM
Spike

johnny2,

Check out this Thread, it may have the answer to your Question. http://www.modernmuzzleloader.com/ph...amp;highlight=

Old 10-05-2008, 10:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've noticed the residue at the crown of the barrel sparkles in the sun (from BH209). Has anyone else noticed that?